Declawed Rescue won't poop in litter box

rjthomas

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We rescued a beautiful Maine Coon cat that was 6 years old and had been declawed (not sure how long ago). I have never had a cat declawed and never would and I guess we should have asked more questions or did our homework. He will not poop in the litterbox at all. My husband wants to get rid of him but I refuse to give up on any animal. I need help! How do I get him to use the litterbox? I know how sensitive his paws are and have tried the finest litter I can find. Please help! I don't want to let him go.

tulosai

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
1. Where did you rescue him from? Was it an organization? If so even a very mediocre rescue organization should still have his records and you should be able to call them and ask some relevant questions such as whether this was a problem they knew about and didn't tell you about or whether he was using the box fine there.  If he was using the box fine there, ask for the specific type of box and litter and then buy them.  If he was not and they didn't tell you, that is really not okay on their part but it's done and you are committed, so moving on to number 2.

2. If he was using the box okay there switch immediately to that exact type of box and litter.

3. Do you only have one box? Some cats 'need' two because they will not pee and poop in the same one.  Some cats may need 3. Cats can be very picky creatures. Some cats also won't use a box if there is ANYTHING ELSE AT ALL in it (meaning you have to scoop after every single use).

4. Have you tried Yesterday's News cat litter? This is basically a whole different TYPE of litter made from recycled paper.  It is much easier on some declawed cats to use this than any other kind of litter, no matter how fine.

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
With a declawed cat finding the right litter really is the key. Also, if she's really struggling with being declawed it might be worth considering declaw repair surgery. Not cheap, but if there's no improvement after exhausting all other avenues then it might be your (and her) best hope.

Thank you for taking her in and not giving up on her.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Its not impossible he got dumped / sent to this shelter because he had problems with the litter.

But if you are ingenious enough, and stand fast enough,   you will  surely find something working.   And the glory will be all yours.

There is also the Kitten attract litter,  Dr Elseys brand is the most renown of them.   This may too be worth testing, if the tips above wont help.

Tx for caring!

Good luck!

anne with cats

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I like the Smart Cat litter. It is super soft. I could only find it on Amazon. Seems cheaper in 5 lb. bags. I have read that declawed cats often develop walking problems due to losing in essence, their toes, and over compensate by walking on the back part of the foot.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

rjthomas

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Let's see if I can cover all questions: We did find out after the fact that this was an ongoing problem and we were not told when we got him. But, he's ours now. He is so sweet and beautiful. I wouldn't dream of getting rid of him but my husband has had it. I feel desperate to find a way to help him use the box. We have 3 litter boxes for him. 2 upstairs, 1 down. All are clean. I will look for Yesterdays News and try that. If that doesn't help I'll try the other one suggested (kitten one). I don't think we can swing the surgery to repair his claws, there's no way my husband would consent to that. He has really given up. If anyone has any other suggestions please share!!

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
He's peeing in the litter box, but not pooping? If he's using his boxes to pee in, the litter and the fact that he's declawed might not be the problem. Is he pooping in front of the box, or in random spots? If the former, have you observed whether he goes into the box, but sticks his rear out to go? Can you use puppy pads or newspaper in the spot(s) where he poops?

We had a shelter cat that did the same thing and tried all sorts of combinations for months and months till we found the "magic formula" for him. That turned out to be a jumbo (for multiple cats) covered box with no more than two inches of a soft litter. The low level of the litter meant he couldn't "perch" to poop outside the box, and the cover ( without a door) forced him to go completely into the box and turn around. Declawing is illegal here (the EU), so that wasn't a factor.

Another cat that was also doing it stopped when he was given a cement/mortar mixing trough for a litter box. Its size and the height of the sides prevented perching.

Are you using an enzyme cleaner on the spots he's using to prevent him from going back there due to the scent?

Last edited: