Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Maxie's Mama

I have had cats for 20 years... all declawed and they did not even realize
their claws were not there. My first cat lived to 16 years old and died of
old age. Many people get a kitten and think how adorable, until they
start ripping the house to shreds. Then what happens...they dump them
in a shelter!!!
This thread is about a cat that has already been declawed and whether it needs special care or not. Not defending the indefensible idea of declawing the cat.

maxie's mama

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My point was....they lead a healthy life and needed no special care..
dont be so defensive. Everyone is entitled to their option!!!!

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by emmylou

As for clipping the back claws... I've never done that on any cat. I only clip the front set. That seems to work fine.
Originally Posted by laureen227

i've never clipped the back, either, on any of mine.
Although the back claws don't need frequent clipping, we do clip them when they start getting too long or sharp.

Originally Posted by Maxie's Mama

I have had cats for 20 years... all declawed and they did not even realize
their claws were not there. My first cat lived to 16 years old and died of
old age. Many people get a kitten and think how adorable, until they
start ripping the house to shreds. Then what happens...they dump them
in a shelter!!!
IMO 16 isn't exactly "old age" for a cat but is definitely a senior cat. As another poster mentioned, this question came up regarding a cat already declawed.

TCS is anti-declawing so you won't find much support for people who believe in declawing or support it. IMHO the only reason a kitten would "rip a house to shreds" is because the owners didn't teach the kitten in the first place and if they are that irresponsible the kitten is better off being out of their house and hopefully finding a more suitable home anyway.

laura22

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'm so glad that you reinforced the idea of not giving up on adopting a cat "just" because it happens to be declawed AND up for adoption. With all of the posts I was beginning to wonder and worry. Since laying eyes upon Kali, though, it has just been a soul connection kind of love. I can't even imagine NOT bringing her home with me anymore!!

She will have a wonderful for ever home with us. I'm sure she'll need what all of us need when we are new... acceptance, empathy, encouragement, patience, and most of all lots and lots of love 

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
I'm so glad that you reinforced the idea of not giving up on adopting a cat "just" because it happens to be declawed AND up for adoption. With all of the posts I was beginning to wonder and worry. Since laying eyes upon Kali, though, it has just been a soul connection kind of love. I can't even imagine NOT bringing her home with me anymore!!
She will have a wonderful for ever home with us. I'm sure she'll need what all of us need when we are new... acceptance, empathy, encouragement, patience, and most of all lots and lots of love :heart3: :heart3: :heart3:
Welcome to TCS :wavey:
We'd love to have you hop over to the New Cats on the Block forum and introduce yourself. You may not get much attention here because this thread is almost 8 years old and many of the original posters are probably not following the thread any more.