Deciding on keeping or finding barn cat program for feral

Ashleyliza

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi all- I recently trapped a cat on the farm where I work. I saw him over the course of a couple of months and fell in love. He was being chased by the resident farm cats. I remember looking for him and not seeing him then one morning on the drive to work I said out loud “ little guy if you want me to find you, you need to show yourself, otherwise I’ll let you be” Not ten seconds later I saw him on the side of the road. We are now three months later. I’ve gotten him neutered etc. The only spot I have to put him in is my one bathroom, which I know isn’t ideal. His spot is behind the water heater which is unfortunately just open and in a corner so not much I can do to block it off. It took a few weeks but he finally started coming out to eat in front of me. I have a cat tree in there annd put some of my smelly clothes which he seems to like. And he will now eat out of my hand (reluctantly) and I found a wand toy he likes so he will play with me. I see all of his amazing progress, but he scratches at the window a lot and is pretty anxious when I’m in there with him and we aren’t playing or he isn’t eating. He pees on anything new I put in there and I tried letting him out at night but he peed on my couch and chair. I’m not that mad, I know that’s anxious territorial behavior. Ive read the alley cats website on the spectrum of socialization. I think I’ve done a great job socializing him, not sure he’s a great candidate for being domesticated. I’m thinking about barn cat options and one minute I feel grounded about that choice and the next moment I feel like I’m abandoning him. One of the technicians at my vet commented that some cats never learn to stop peeing on things and that keeps running through my head. I’ve worked so hard to make my home a safe place for myself and I don’t have the resources to keep buying new furniture. I’m not sure what I’m looking for here but it’s hard doing this alone! All my friends say it takes time, just ignore him he will come around but none of them have tried domesticating a feral cat haha. I kept trying to decide if he’s a soul kitty or a barn kitty and I’m thinking he’s both! I just don’t have a barn for him. :(

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Ashleyliza

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Forgot to write that was 8 months old when I trapped him. So about 11 months now. He’s got two litter boxes in the bathroom with him and he does well with that. Just pees on new things I put in. When I let him out I put another litter box in the living room so he’s have an option out there and he still peed on furniture. Second night I tried putting smelling things that had been in with him and a food dish on the couch to keep him from marking and it didn’t work, he still marked.

Margot Lane

Kitten at heart, not a Top Cat
Top Cat
Purraise
Well there are a lot of discussions on TCS about enzyme cleaners for sofas. Were it me I’d sit down, write a list of all the pros and cons on owning this kitty. Like, how would you feel if you did find a barn for him, would you be missing him all the time? What’s it like where you are in winter? Can I afford the vet bills? To me it sounds like early days yet, and he is still trying to calm down and get grounded. But it’s a commitment, with lots of patience, love and understanding that could take years. Are catios an option? I would dig deep on this site, as there are many threads here on this subject which could help you decide. I have seen those plastic covers for sofas, which might at least make cleaning up easier. Good luck! ❤

Last edited:

Margot Lane

Kitten at heart, not a Top Cat
Top Cat
Purraise
For inspiration, you might look at the “meet Buggy” thread. That one had me on the edge of my seat!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Ashleyliza

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you for your replies! And I love stories like Buggy’s! They all seem to involve a cat who has shown more signs of wanting human contact. Pets, rubs, etc. and it’s helped me figure out my actual question. Is there ever a time when it’s in the best interest of the cat to go into a barn kitty program? My little guy sort of tolerates me scratching his head if I have enough food in a pile right next to me that he’s distracted. It’s been three months. He doesn’t rub anything and runs from me if I move. All of this is understandable. I’m not expecting him to be a lap cat. He’s very smart, and has started playing with me once I found a toy he likes. Da Bird is phenomenal. It’s helping to build his confidence and get some energy out. The room I have him in is pretty small so he starts to get stressed when I’m in there too long. I don’t have another room to put him in. I worked at a vet clinic for 7 years and I had two 19 year old cats that I managed their care and vet bills etc. no matter how I was doing financially. I’m starting to feel like I’m putting all of this energy into trying to make him something he doesn’t want to be. I’ve done that in plenty of human relationships, don’t need to start doing it with cats haha. I would go through a barn kitty program with a rescue who would do their due diligence in placing him in a good home. I want to do what’s best for him, that is my goal. I don’t want to give up on him because of my own human shit I need to work through but I also don’t want to force him to be where he doesn’t want to be.

mister obama

don daleiden at my house...
Young Cat
Purraise
Put him in a barn for a while, catching mice for a year will convince him that with a little effort on his part he can be a good purring lapcat!

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I’m putting all of this energy into trying to make him something he doesn’t want to be.
It isn't him necessarily, because to a degree it's your expectations. Decrease the energy. Some of these cats take a year.

Has he been vet checked? Peeing on soft things might be less about trying to mark his territory and maybe more about having a health issue.