Deciding how/when/why to vaccinate kitten...

oceanbreathes

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm honestly a bit wary of rabies vaccinations, having had one cat who experienced a bad reaction & one who had to have surgery for what the vet believed was a vaccination induced sarcoma.  I feel the risk of rabies is low given that my cats live in the basement with me & only go out whilst supervised.  That being said, I felt I should go ahead and vaccinate my 4 month old kitten soon, prior to neutering. 

I just called to ask for the price of the 3 year Purevax rabies vaccine as I've read it's the safest option but can be pricey.  I was disappointed to hear that, according to state law, a one year vaccine must be on file before they can do a 3 year vaccine.  I found that perplexing; I'm not sure what the logic is there..

My little one has faced coccidia, a possible mild URI, more than one medication(antibiotics), and continues to have some GI upsets(he's had numerous fecals, including a PCR diarrhea panel, at this point, & has been to the vet on numerous occasions).  So that disrupted his vaccination schedule a bit.  He was combo vaccinated at 8 weeks and then again at around 12 weeks.  I had planned to combo vaccinate him one more time but now it seems best to just wait until he's a year old.  Does that make sense?  The last suggestion I read said to do only two sets: one at 8 weeks, another after 16 weeks of age. 

As for rabies, should I wait until he's at least 5 months old?  Should I even do it?  Is it worth the "stress on his immune system?" 

kittens mom

Kittens life was lost to a negligent veterinarian.
Top Cat
Purraise

I'm honestly a bit wary of rabies vaccinations, having had one cat who experienced a bad reaction & one who had to have surgery for what the vet believed was a vaccination induced sarcoma.  I feel the risk of rabies is low given that my cats live in the basement with me & only go out whilst supervised.  That being said, I felt I should go ahead and vaccinate my 4 month old kitten soon, prior to neutering. 

I just called to ask for the price of the 3 year Purevax rabies vaccine as I've read it's the safest option but can be pricey.  I was disappointed to hear that, according to state law, a one year vaccine must be on file before they can do a 3 year vaccine.  I found that perplexing; I'm not sure what the logic is there..

My little one has faced coccidia, a possible mild URI, more than one medication(antibiotics), and continues to have some GI upsets(he's had numerous fecals, including a PCR diarrhea panel, at this point, & has been to the vet on numerous occasions).  So that disrupted his vaccination schedule a bit.  He was combo vaccinated at 8 weeks and then again at around 12 weeks.  I had planned to combo vaccinate him one more time but now it seems best to just wait until he's a year old.  Does that make sense?  The last suggestion I read said to do only two sets: one at 8 weeks, another after 16 weeks of age. 

As for rabies, should I wait until he's at least 5 months old?  Should I even do it?  Is it worth the "stress on his immune system?" 
It depends on your state laws. I keep my cats rabies current with the Purevax because should they get out many shelters vaccinate and they won't be using the good stuff. I believe the source of most of the problem with vaccines is the adjuvant and vets who adhere to yearly vaccinations after the initial vaccinations.

Good vets will set up vaccinations based on the law and your cats actual needs.  My vet held off Mercy's rabies until she was 5 months old .

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Your little guy has surely been through a lot!

Rabies shots are not usually given until a kitten is 6 months old. I would get him neutered and hold off on the rabies vaccine for now.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

oceanbreathes

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Your little guy has surely been through a lot!

Rabies shots are not usually given until a kitten is 6 months old. I would get him neutered and hold off on the rabies vaccine for now.
I had planned to wait until he was at least 5 months old but I think I'll definitely wait until after 6 months of age.  I do want to have him neutered soon and am probably going to utilize a spay/neuter clinic as the costs have really been adding up.  They require a rabies vac on file.  However, I can just pay a penalty fee.

oceanbreathes

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Well.. I misunderstood.  The spay/neuter clinic doesn't just charge a penalty fee, as I had thought.  They charge $15 and then vaccinate your animal for rabies at the time of spay/neuter surgery. 
  I really feel I should have him neutered soon to avoid any stress for my cats.  But I'm afraid of stressing his little body even further.  Argh. 

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
That's interesting. My local Humane Society spayed and neutered my kittens at 12 weeks, and I was given a rabies shot coupon to go back after they were 6 months and redeem.

Can you ask that they wait? Otherwise, I think your little guy will be okay with the shot. Neutering asap is a good idea. It's so much easier when they are young.

oceanbreathes

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
That sounds very reasonable; I hope I'm given that option.  They're closed until Monday but I'm definitely going to give them a call and see what my options are. 

catpack

TCS Veteran
Kitten
Purraise
Legally, the Rabies vaccine can be give at 16 weeks of age.

As for the FVRCP vaccine, ideally he would get a booster around or after 16 weeks old. This being because there is a general consensus that the mom's immunity is completely out of the kitten's system by around 9-10 weeks and you want 2 boosters to "take" in order to be effective. (This is what my vet explained to me.)