Debating On Cat #2

cali03

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
so a little back story. I moved into a small 5 acre place a few years ago and in order to keep the little critters down and out of the hay barn and away from the house I got two cats. Both were being given away and they with both 1 year old brother and sister already fixed. Well I ended up re-homing the boy. To be honest his personality and mine just clashed and I wanted to kill him more times then i could count. He found a great home with someone who instantly fell in love with him and spoils him rotten. The sister on the other hand, we connected immediately. She was and still is an amazing companion. She's more the "hide until she feels safe but once she loves you she's your best friend" type. Slightly vocal at food times or when she wants me to go outside. Needless to say she's ended up in the house and is a cat that has changed my views on cats for the better. She'll be staying with me until she passes.

Any who. Due to a recent change in my work I find i'm gone for decent length in the day but now every few months i have to travel for work. I know she meowed for her brother a few days after he left but she really blossomed when she became the only cat as her brother was overbearing in many ways. I keep debating getting a second cat due to those times when I have to be gone a week or two for work. But at the same time she seems incredibly content to be an only cat, and just hang out with me when i'm home. She doesn't present any of the anxious or seperation anxiety traits that i've looked up. Am I just looking to deep into this? Does this sound like a cat that needs a second cat? I'm fairly new to the whole "cat as a house pet not a barn cat" kind of living and i'm a little out of my depths when it comes to cat behavior.

when I leave for a week or two she is looked after by some friends and she enthusiastically greets me when i get home and is a bit of "velcro" kitty for a few days but after that she settles right in. She doesn't ever appear to excessively groom. Her eating goes down a tad but not enough to be worried about. She uses the litter box just fine and doesn't claw or scratch the furniture. Would a second cat be really needed? Hope this wasn't to much of a ramble.

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm not sure of her personality. If she's a queen bee used to not having to share she may not appreciate a second cat.

If she's laid back not much fazes her type, she may like it.

It's hard to say since I don't know her personally.

Being over a year old she probably will not be as accepting to another cat as a younger one.

ihave4cats

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
If I was you, I would not do it. More cats = a higher risk of problems. What if the new cat does scratch furniture, or decides once in awhile to not use the litter box, or if its personality clashes again with yours. It´s not always easy as you know to find new homes for animals..... It sounds to me like everything is perfect now for you with the one cat, I wouldn´t mess with that as it cannot get better than perfect. ;)