Death/dying and wills

margd

Chula and Paul's roommate
Veteran
Purraise

Perhaps we could go online and try to find a bunch that will offer this, and make a list?  I'd volunteer, but until I can get a faster computer than computersaurus rex, here, I'm so slow I make myself a little crazy just posting here!
That's a great idea. 
  I'm already trying to find a place in Maryland and assuming I find some, will post my results.  Also, love your computer's name. 

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise

That's a great idea. 
  I'm already trying to find a place in Maryland and assuming I find some, will post my results.  Also, love your computer's name. 
Thank you on BOTH accounts!

Computersaurus Rex is a gift computer.  It is an elderly little Gateway, given to me by a friend whose son had outgrown it.  My computer had just had a fatal stroke (motherboard fried), and I was thrilled to have ANY functioning computer.  Elder son promises to send me a decent one when they get settled (moving to Amsterdam) but not holding my breath!!!

There should be a clearinghouse of places like that...that and no kill shelters.  A database?  Some way to google and find ONE SITE that lists all.

betsygee

Just what part of meow don't you understand.
Staff Member
Purraise
What I should do is open a life insurance policy made payable to a rescue agency with the agreement that they care for my pets. There is a sanctuary in Nebraska that does that, they call it Legacy of Love. I think a lot of sanctuaries have similar programs.
That's a good idea.  That was our plan until my sister stepped up and offered to take in any kitties that may outlive us.  

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kittycort

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I asked specifically for feedback from those without family to care for them, not those with children, spouses, or sisters to care for them.

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I asked specifically for feedback from those without family to care for them, not those with children, spouses, or sisters to care for them.
Have you checked out the link provided by @Zed Xyzed  ? A cat retirement community might not be your ideal solution but it gives you an option if you truly don't have anyone who would be willing to take your pets, 

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
My mother is 82 and when she adopted another cat a few years ago I insisted she have a plan in place for what would happen to her cat. It's not in writing, but my niece the vet tech would take her. :nod:

paiger8

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
God willing, I'm hoping to outlive my cats, since I'm only in my late 20's. But if something happens... My mom is SUPER allergic to pet dander, so she's out. I'm also an only child, unmarried, with no children. I have a really close friend who knows my cats well, and I'm positive she'd take them. We haven't actually had that conversation yet, but she loves my kitties almost as much as I do. I also know she'd feed them as well as I do. If she can't for some reason, my cousin and I have talked about me taking her pets if something happened to her, and I'm sure she'd be willing to take mine. 

I don't have a will yet, but plan to type up something unofficial for now. I have my mom listed as my beneficiary on my investment accounts, house, and checking accounts - so everything automatically goes to her. I do need to have a cat specific savings account for their care though, but haven't gotten around to it.