Dealing with the stresses of so many cats......

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

les26

Sylvester's daddy
Top Cat
Purraise
We have 7 litter boxes, and they hardly use 2 of them so that is plenty.

The brand of food I tried years ago was in a blue can and called "Blue something", maybe blue buffalo? I can't recall it correctly, but it had a picture of a wolf or wild dog on it, pretty popular brand name but they wouldn't eat it. We tried another brand too but the name escapes me.

I would be more than willing to try again if someone would tell me the specific brand name so I know what to buy.

Freedom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Well, as I said, I am using limited ingredient, alternate protein. 

Kibble:  Natural Balance limited ingredient duck and green pea

Canned:  Natural Balance limited ingredient venison and green pea

I order online using Chewy.com - in general their prices are the same as on Amazon.  Free shipping, delivered to your door.  I have not as yet set up auto ship; this food change is recent for me, due to Emma's diagnosis of IBD, so I am still working on it.  I order the large size cans 5.5 ounce, a case or 2 at a time.  I am using 3 cans a day, with 7 cats.  I put out the canned in the evening (after I scoop), and it is gone when I get up in the morning.  I have kibble out all the time (free feeding) which is controversial, some on here will say no to that.  I usually top up the kibble in the morning, when I pick up the dishes from the canned, to get them washed and ready for the next use.

As my Tommy was recently diagnosed with asthma, I've had to change over litter as well.  I used Tidy Cats for YEARS.  Very dusty.  Now using Arm and Hammer Clump and Seal - it comes in a black box.  It is very pricey.  Wow the dust is almost non-existent!  So that is helping w/ Tommy's asthma.  I am ordering that from Chewy as well.

I am almost 60 years of age, and had 2 total knee replacements last year.  Now working on a hip issue, may need a hip replacement.  So having to the door delivery is what I need at this time.  You may  not want to do the online ordering if you can find it cheaper locally; but I doubt you can! 

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Friskies and Fancy Feast are fine for canned food, but the dry versions have a lot of food coloring, which is a major cause of vomiting in cats (in my experience). Try a similar food with no food coloring, such as Cat Chow Naturals or Purina ONE. Hopefully that will help at least a little, and be similar enough that the cats will like the taste.

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Friskies and Fancy Feast are fine for canned food, but the dry versions have a lot of food coloring, which is a major cause of vomiting in cats (in my experience). Try a similar food with no food coloring, such as Cat Chow Naturals or Purina ONE. Hopefully that will help at least a little, and be similar enough that the cats will like the taste.
That's definitely worth a try.  I'm not feeding any kibble right now, but when I had kibble fed cats (back in the years before grain-free), I remember them vomiting more with multi-colored Meow Mix (which they loved) than they did with single-colored Purina Cat Chow (which they would eat, but with less gusto).

cindycrna

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My 6 month old is getting Blue Buffalo Wilderness dry food and Stella and Chewy's freeze dried raw, Duck Duck Goose. He loves it! We are adopting a 2 year old and will transition him also. You have to use grain free, corn, gluten free dry food. 

kittens mom

Kittens life was lost to a negligent veterinarian.
Top Cat
Purraise

My 6 month old is getting Blue Buffalo Wilderness dry food and Stella and Chewy's freeze dried raw, Duck Duck Goose. He loves it! We are adopting a 2 year old and will transition him also. You have to use grain free, corn, gluten free dry food. 
My resident puker would only eat Blue Wilderness and she seldom vomited from it. We tried Natures Variety limited ingredient and she loves it and NO PUKING> She's eating on a bag of NV Rabbit meal with the same good results. She gets canned food also. Anything with a high liver content is an instant upchuck.

Make life easier on yourself. buy extra deep litter pans and make or purchase easy lift covers and get a long handled scoop. Need a litter mat try the dollar store and look for one of the cheap rubberized ones that have the loopy tops they are just like some of the really expensive litter mats. You'll know them if you see them. Best cat bed in the world that goes right in the washer, I vacuum first. Those thick dish drying mats you can find at any store. They also fit nicely on chairs. If' you're really hardcore you can use them to dry your dishes on.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

les26

Sylvester's daddy
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the replies, I appreciate it! I'll try some of the different foods and hope that they take to liking them!