Dealing with giardia, feeling helpless

Wayne’s daddy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I’ve been a long time lurker and have received so much good advice on here. I’ve always considered myself a relatively competent cat daddy but giardia is making me question everything.

I recently adopted two amazing kitties after losing my old man kitty after 19 great years. BabyWayne (8 month old tabby boy) and Sean (1 year old blue boy) have been great but shortly after bringing them home, Sean had the classic explosive diarrhea with farts that’ll peel paint off the walls. BabyWayne has had a couple incidents of diarrhea but has generally been ok. BabyWayne is the picture of health but Sean is a little neurotic and had some health issues. I’m guessing his immune system isn’t as robust as Baby. He also is a little neurotic around the litter box and will cover Baby’s visits even when Baby does a good job. Assuming he was doing that at the shelter, giardia was likely inevitable.

We quickly diagnosed giardia and began a regimen of Flagyl & Panacur. In addition, I’ve spent a few hours each day cleaning, sanitizing, and scrubbing to the point where my hands are a cracked, bloody mess. I’m working from home and have generally been able to collect the BM’s in a cup before they even hit the litter box. I’m still changing litter 2x/day, sanitizing the box, and using liners. We’ve added probiotics and pumpkin to their diet. I’m not having much luck wiping their butts and bathing is likely out of the question.

BabyWayne is still making good poop and Sean’s are looking better. Any suggestions on how long to maintain the cleaning regimen after they are done with meds (tomorrow is the big day)? The thought of going through this again makes me sick to my stomach. I’ve been looking everywhere to see how long cysts are shed after treatment and haven’t seen any clear answers and am guessing that there aren’t any
I cannot maintain this regimen for much longer but don’t want my eagerness to be finished with it to put us back at square one. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
IMG_7382.jpeg
IMG_7381.jpeg

silent meowlook

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise

Here are a couple of articles for veterinarians and veterinary technicians.