Deaf cat, never meows or makes any sounds & scared of human interactions- HELP

victoriaaxo

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Someone please give me some more information and advice , etc on my cat :(

here is a bit of background:

Ive had my male brown tabby, Marlow since he was about 4 months old. He was born in a garage during winter and we got him off kijiji (local selling/add site) from the persons garage he was born in. He's a year now and when we took him to get fixed (he was about 6 -8 months old) they told us he had ear mites- a bad case too! Marlow has always been very shy and timid of us and its hard to touch him and look at him so we had no clue he had ear mites. 

He doesn't like to be touched or have anyone come up to him or go near him in general. He's loosened up the last few months, will sit in the same room we are in, we are able to touch him sometimes but whenever we pet him, he gets all tense and his tail gets stiff, sticks out and you can tell he isn't enjoying it so much.

We've never seen him freely wag his tail like a normal cat does. Its always either straight up or straight out. When he does move it around its very quick and snappy. He has never scratched us or bit us so we know he isn't angry when he moves his tail like that.

Never heard a sound outta him, he's a year old now and nothing. We just realized he is deaf. He doesn't look or even show any signs he hears that we are calling him/making noise, only when i made high pitched noises. We figure it is because the ear mites... (he had them for roughly 6 months)

This breaks my heart to see him have these problems and be so scared of us :(

Is there any possible reason why he doesn't talk and is this scared of us/ doesn't want to be touched? Him being deaf, could it be because he had the ear mites as long as he did? Is there anything we can do to make him come around and not be so timid like he is?!

Ive looked up deaf/mute cats and basically nothing comes up anywhere.. Is it common? or not really? 

PLEASE anyone! give me all the information, knowledge and advice/tips/concerns/questions ANYTHING&EVERYTHING you know to help me out :(

thank you <3

pocho

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hmm....I can only imagine he like deaf people adapt by other senses becoming stronger. Sight might be where you could start. Be very careful of your expressions. No big display of your teeth while smiling as he might interpret as aggressive show of teeth. No intense direct eye contact as this could be seen as dominating or confrontation. I would be careful to let him be very aware of your presence. Even a gentle pet from behind could startle....then use smell. I would spray my clothes with catnip or calming spray. Basically really try to imagine his sensory reality. The potential for a deep bound through earned difficult understanding is high! I find it very moving you care for such a sweetheart with this challenge or disability. If you earn all his trust you will have something very special and beautiful.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

victoriaaxo

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
about 10 minutes ago he came up on the couch and layed on the other side (which is rare) and i put my hand out to let him smell and get my scent. i didn't try to touch him and he didn't run or get uncomfortable like he usually does. i would get his attention, made slow eye blinks to him and he blinked slowly back at me! this was the first time he's actually given me some sort of a response! whenever i blink slow to him he always looks away. I'm not sure if the "i love you" blink cats give, their eyes fully close and open? or just slowly close a bit and open lol

what do you mean 'the potential for a deep bound through earned difficult understanding is high' ? 

thank you, its upsetting finally realizing after so long wondering, researching almost every possible reason/problem that could have caused him to be so distant and strange. Not once did i think or research that he may have a disability.

pocho

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
That is wonderful! Sorry for sloppy typing. I meant a deep bond. A kitty like that needs to trust. If you can establish you are there for him and he can trust you completely you will have a connection I believe even deeper than with a cat that doesn't have special needs.

reikitty

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
There are resources out there for deaf kitties... I found a couple web site once. My experience has been with blind kitties so I'm not much help.

remember  reading once though that deaf kitties usually like vacuum  cleaners because the motors are similar to purrs so they think its a fake cat or something...

And something about stomping so they can feel the vibrations in the floor.... I'll have to see if I can find those websites for you...

http://www.hospicevet.com/blog/2013/03/living-with-a-deaf-cat

http://theeniqma.wordpress.com/deaf-cats/