Deaf cat aggressive toward other cat

cassiopeiae13

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Here's the situation:

A few weeks ago I saw on Petfinder there was a 7 year old, white female cat with one blue eye and one green eye. Knowing she was deaf, or at least half deaf, I decided to adopt her. I already had a 5 year old grey and white male kitty who's a bit of a wimp. As far as pecking order goes, I knew he wouldn't care, he's so extremely laid back, so I figured even if the new cat (who is twice his size) wanted to be alpha, that would be okay. A few smacks in the face and all would be well.

I spoke with the woman who was fostering her, who has about 5 cats of her own, and it sounded like Andromeda (the deaf kitty) would want to be in charge, but would settle into the house and be okay. She had been put in a room with a declawed cat and never once attacked. So after meeting her, and realizing she was the sweetest snuggliest cat ever, I decided to take her home.

She first went to my parents house, and I had them bring her over a few hours later after I was with Cailan (my 5 year old kitty) for a few hours. He went over to the carrier and imediately they sniffed and poofed and hissed but for the most part, ignored one another. I did a lot of reading about introducing them, and so I set up a spare room, put her toy in there, a litter box and food and water. The door has a 2" ish gap at the bottom and I've fed them treats at the same time on either side of the door.

While I'm home, and not during the night, I'd let her out of the room to sniff around the house and get used to the other cat. There were a few chases, but my cat would just sit on top of the ridge and watch her as she walked around and sniffed.

This went on this way for about a week. I've brushed the both of them with the same brush, swapped out toys and things they sleep on to get the scent over the house, and I've played with them both. They're very playful.

Then two nights ago, I was sitting in the hallway petting her outside her room when Cailan wandered up, they sniffed at one another but didn't poof or growl. She laid down, purred, did the slow-mo blink and I petted her. Cailan laid down and just purred near the two of us. All of a sudden, without Andromeda using her usual tells (quick breathing, dilated eyes and a hard twitch to the tail) she attacked. There was yelling, and scratching, and now both Cailan and myself have scratches. I don't know if he scratched me when he tried to defend himself, or if she did, but I have two long scratches in my palm, and Cailan has a scratch on his nose.

I put Meda in her room and shut the door then made sure both me and Cailan were okay. We were, thankfully.

I have NO Idea where this attack came from.

Then I was in Meda's room, and Cailan pushed his paw under the door. She again, without warning attacked, claws out, trying to get under the door growling and poofed.

She doesn't attack me, even when I put a hand on her. I'm very careful not to sneak up on her, and if Cailan starts to creep up on her, I make sure she sees him before he gets to close.

She does get scared easily.

So... now I'm trying to figure out what I can do to stop her from attacking him. He doesn't seem to tramatized. When she's not in the room he's his usual playful self, howling and playing with the laser pointer and his toys. When she's in the room, he stays up high and watches her, but if he gets down, she'll pounce.

I have to get her to stop doing that. I can't have her terrorizing him, and I don't want to give her back. I hate people who do that, however my first duty is to Cailan, I can't have him terrified in his own home.

So, please. I have read a LOT of things, I've talked to the vet, she just had a check up this Saturday and is healthy, but just likes to attack Cailan. I need ideas to get her to stop. I've read that cat's can't be displined that their brains aren't wired that way, but that you can teach them BEFORE they pounce that what they're about to do is wrong. I know people here (and the sticky) says not to use the waterbottle, but other sites say that's a very good deterrent.

So now my question is: Who's right and what can I do to keep her from attacking?

I don't mind putting in the time, but I need Cailan safe while I do it.

(PS: sorry for the novel)

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
There is no right or wrong in this situation.
Your first duty is to Cailan, but really, I think all you need to do is invest more time.

I'd keep Meda separated for now, and work on getting them to associate each other with "good" things. Rub Cailan all over with a couple of clean rags/wash cloths (preferably that you wash and dry without using fabric softener) and put one under Meda's food dish, and put treats down for her regularly on another one. Do likewise with Meda for Cailan. I'd give this a minimum of a week and probably two before even attempting to reintroduce them.

If you don't already have Feliway, I'd purchase some and spray lots of it around. If you can afford a diffuser, I'd put one in her room and plug on into whatever the main room Cailan hangs out in. It's a synthetic hormone that mimics the friendly markers in cats' cheeks and helps promote a less stressed environment and (usually) helps cats in multicat homes be less... territorial. I'd also invest in Bach's Rescue Remedy (flower essences). Add it to the water when you clean the dish(es) every day, and dab a little under Meda's chin (so it wafts up into her nose). It doesn't always help, but when it does work, it can help a lot.

Then I'd bring her out for supervised visits - only for 15 minutes, 1/2 an hour or so the first couple of days. If it goes well, end it before something happens, and constantly praise both of them (if there's no aggression on Meda's part). Keep a towel handy, and if she goes for Cailan, throw the towel over her. Then remove her. If it were me, I'd put her in a bathroom for a "time out" for five minutes, then I'd move her to her room. The point there is that you don't want her to associate her room as being a place she goes for being "bad" - but she needs to learn she gets isolated and ignored when she attacks Cailan - and she gets lots of treats and play and pets and praise when she doesn't.

This takes time. It took 4-5 months for our resident cat to stop going after a new introduction here two years ago. Forunately it didn't involve any scratching or biting. But this isn't something that happens very quickly.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

cassiopeiae13

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm definitely willing to put in the time, and usually it's the resident cat who freaks out, but this is the new cat. Plus she's deaf, so vocal cues don't help.

I have been putting her in her room when she attacks, but I'll do the bathroom thing. She howls when she's separated, even though I make sure to spend lots of time with her in her room. Of course, if I'm in there, then Cailan howls...

I have very possessive cats -_-

Cailan has been bouncing back. He's currenly on my bed, and I went in there to put laundry away and he started purring and wanting snuggles. Andromeda is sitting on the cat perch that has Cailan's scent ALL over it. I've been doing the scent thing.

I have been paying attention to Meda. When she sees ANYTHING move, she imediately gets dilated eyes and is on alert. Anything, a bird outside, my foot which was previously stationary or Cailan walking around.

Only, when it's Cailan, she actually does that sneak thing to pounce and keep him in her line of sight. I'm sure half of this is due to the fact she was an only kitty for 7 years then suddenly tossed into a house of 6 cats. *I* would be freaked out too! I really don't blame her for it. I'm just trying to get her less scared.

Honestly, I don't even think it's HIM that she's being aggressive toward, I just think he's the only thing that she can take it out on. Being half her size and a movable object. She gets gittery with toys and things too, like she doesn't understand really what it is, and so gets scared.

It's a very strange situation.

I do the positive thing where I pet her a lot and give her lots of love. I do that for both of them, in front of one another too, to show that the other is okay.

I've read a few people like that diffuser, it's only $18, which isn't bad, I think I can handle that. The rescue remedy stuff was used by the lady I got her from, but I don't think it works. My vet prescribed an anti-anxiety med for her and I heard st. john's wart works well also.

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I don't know about the St. John's Wort... but does she like to play? Does she like height? I know our deaf kitty loves to be up high - especially up in the corner of a room so she can see everything. We have lots of tall vertical spaces for her (though she doesn't have the aggression problem).

If she likes to play, I'd work off that fear and stress with as much play as possible.

I know it's hard with the howling and the separation... (deaf cats seem to have the loudest lungs!
)... but hang in there!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

cassiopeiae13

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
HAHA!

Actually her howl is no where NEAR as annoying as Cailan's is! He howls when separated or just...when he wants... he's a very chatty cat, so now I have two of them *laugh*

Yeah she likes to aplay a lot, I have a laser pointer and she goes after it, string, a mouse lots of stuff. She likes to snuggle. She doesn't seem to care about being up high but that might be because Cailan stays at the highest point of the house.

Though when he's not there she doesn't seem interested.

frankthetank

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I am sorry to hear they are having trouble adjusting, but definitely just give it some time!
I recently added a blind kitten to my home of 7 cats, and it does take time. It has been almost 5 weeks now, and two of the kitties still hiss at him and try to swat at him, but the other 5 cats are fine with him. We had him in his own room for 2 weeks, and when we were introducing cats, we did it a little at a time, with lots of toys in the room and lots of love.
The scent thing is a good idea, we did that also. We also used a lot of feliway spray. We started out small, only introducing for a few minutes at a time, until they felt more comfortable.
Our two dominant cats, one male and one female, are the ones that still hiss/swat. We figure it will eventually get better, we just watch their interactions. They have never actually attacked though. Good luck with everything!!

pixie dust

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Casiopeiae - Did things ever settle out with Meda and Cailan?  I certainly hope so.  I see it's been quite some time since you started this thread but I would really appreciate an update as I currently have a situation very similar to yours.

We brought home a beautiful, giant, 4yo lady, Cee, from the shelter.  After about a week we realized she was deaf then confirmed with our vet.  Once we staged the house to give her lots of Deaf Cat Safe Spaces she got much bolder.  Now she's taken to stalking and viciously attacking our petite, "silver whisker", Pix.  Pix is fully traumatized, Cee scared her so bad she peed in our bed, she spends the rest of her time under our bed.

We've done the cat scent transfer with the towels, common treat time, tried to make everyone feel special and loved and not in competition but Cee just got worse til she was banished to the sun room.  On her own she is the sweetest, most snuggling, lovey doll ever;  each time I try to let her back in for small reintroduction periods she goes right back into violent stalker mode.  I am really scared for Pix, she is too old and fragile for this kind of treatment.  

But I don't know what to do.

Hope all is well with you and your kitties.

LizIm

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'm late to the party, but in case someone stumbles onto this page...I "adopted" a stray deaf kitten that showed up at my house. He's 10 years old now. He is extremely aggressive toward humans and other cats. He seems to like the neighbor's dog well enough and they used to play together. He bites more so than scratches. He has bitten plugs out of me more than once and has put the fear of god into his vet's staff. He does have nice qualities. He loves to play and while not all that affectionate, he likes to be held while napping and follows me around like a pup. Anyway...He hates other cats. I live in a rural area and for the first 5 years of his life, he was an indoor/outdoor cat (not the best idea for deaf cats, I know), but he loved it outside and loved hunting birds. With the exception of one stray cat who he actually liked (I have no idea why), he picked fights, went out of his way to fight, any cat who happened to be around. He viciously attacked a stray kitten that I had hoped to keep, although, in my cat's defense, this was before I realized how aggressive he was toward other cats and had not properly educated myself on how to introduce them. The stray kitten did not get to stay. He mostly lost the fights which did not deter him, and finally, he had to be kept in indoors all the time. When he sees another cat through the window, he goes ballistic. I honestly can't imagine him tolerating another cat no matter how gradual and gentle the introduction.

I'm certainly not discouraging the adoption of a deaf cat. My cat is really special and unique. I would do it all over again, and when my cat passes away, I hope to find another deaf one. But, I believe some cats are meant to be in a one pet household. This advice isn't going to help someone who adopts an animal unaware of it's personality, but if you have a deaf cat first, I would definitely try to do some test runs with family or friends' cats before I adopted another one.

veggiefriendly09

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hey pixie dust! I am quite literally having the EXACT same problem that you just described. I adopted a deaf cat who I think might be my soul mate even tho I already have a cat soul mate who is in her golden years. How did integrating them work out? Were you able to get Cee to stop attacking Pix?

veggiefriendly09

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hey pixie dust! I am quite literally having the EXACT same problem that you just described. I adopted a deaf cat who I think might be my soul mate even tho I already have a cat soul mate who is in her golden years. How did integrating them work out? Were you able to get Cee to stop attacking Pix?
If anyone else has any advice it would be greatly appreciated!!