Dead Sibling

Matai

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
our gorgeous stray kitten which we had taken under our wing was hit by our own car in our driveway today and her sibling has now gone missing completely. They were everything to each other. They were around 10 weeks. We found them at around 2 weeks old in our barn, orphaned and took care of them. Will the sibling kitty come back? He didn’t have his lunch or dinner I’ve checked everywhere under hedges in their play spots etc and he’s nowhere. Not a peep. He’d be starving hungry by now but hasn’t come back for food. I assume he was also hit because they did everything together. How do I know where to look for him if he’s injured (or dead). Do kittens take themselves away to die if they are hurt? If he saw his sister die under the wheels would that be enough to just frighten him and he might be back? We don’t know what to do.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Veteran
Purraise
Oh, gosh, I am SO SO sorry this happened!!
Have you checked underneath the vehicle, up into its underside?
The only other thing I can suggest is to put out some smelly food items (of course that'll bring in every other hungry animal, but...) and try and be less stressed and upset. Everyone's emotions will keep the other kitten from coming back, until things have a chance to calm down a little bit. Hopefully when you stop actively looking, it will show up.
Hang in there!!

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I am so stinking sorry that this happened. I know your heart is broken and that you are mourning not one, but TWO little lives...and that second one might be the worst because you do not know. I will tell you to look in low, small hidey-holes. Whether he is injured or not, frightened cats almost always "go to earth." The best time to search will be when it is just getting dark (their most active time). Be sure to carry a flashlight with you. I can't tell you how often a missing cat or kitten has been spotted because of those eyes shining back in the dark!