Dead feral kitten found still in afterbirth

Jadems99

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have 2 outdoor houses for the ferals at my apartments. This morning I went out to shake the sticks and stuff that stick to the pad inside. When I reached in I touched something wet and cold. I pulled out the mat and it was a dead kitten completely wrapped in the placenta or whatever. The mother was just born at the end of fall and she is tiny!! I saw one of the males catch her and was afraid she would end up pregnant. I know you are supposed to leave dead kittens for the mother but it was apparent she hadn't even tried to clean it so I removed it and washed the bedding that was covered with bloody liquid. I wasn't sure if this was right but 2, sometimes 3 cats sleep in there every night. I can't afford to trap them and fix them so I just feed them and gave them these houses. I have already been threatened not to feed them as it was against my lease but I am still doing it. I don't want to get kicked out! We are not young and I am disabled so moving is very hard. Any suggestions??

furmonster mom

Lap #2
Top Cat
Purraise
You might check around your area for a group that does Trap Neuter Release. The goal is to control the population of feral colonies without creating a vacuum in the local ecosystem. Some groups will do this for free, as they are funded by donations and are set up as charities.

As for the stillbirth, I think you did the right thing. Very young momma cats sometimes don’t have all their survival instincts yet. Leaving it could just invite pathogens and pests.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Please try to contact a humane society to see if they can help you with trap/neuter/release. Or get on Facebook and ask for advice. I commend you for taking care of these little ones, but I know from experience if they are not neutered and spayed it will be nothing but heartache. At least the females. You will have over a hundred cats in a few years unless there are predators around to control them.
You did the right thing in cleaning the bedding. Have you seen the little mama to make sure she is alright? First-time mamas often have trouble and lose their first litters because they don't know what to do. I hope you can get help in spying her. She would have a much better life. Bless you, for caring......

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Jadems99

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
You might check around your area for a group that does Trap Neuter Release. The goal is to control the population of feral colonies without creating a vacuum in the local ecosystem. Some groups will do this for free, as they are funded by donations and are set up as charities.

As for the stillbirth, I think you did the right thing. Very young momma cats sometimes don’t have all their survival instincts yet. Leaving it could just invite pathogens and pests.
Thank you very much!!

Jadems99

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Please try to contact a humane society to see if they can help you with trap/neuter/release. Or get on Facebook and ask for advice. I commend you for taking care of these little ones, but I know from experience if they are not neutered and spayed it will be nothing but heartache. At least the females. You will have over a hundred cats in a few years unless there are predators around to control them.
You did the right thing in cleaning the bedding. Have you seen the little mama to make sure she is alright? First-time mamas often have trouble and lose their first litters because they don't know what to do. I hope you can get help in spying her. She would have a much better life. Bless you, for caring......
I spoke with my management about helping me with TNR and they said they were on a waiting list unless any of the cats are injured. I told them about 2 with injuries (since healed) and nothing!!! I will keep trying to find someone. If there were just 1 or 2 that would be one thing but there are 9 of them and I feed them wet food twice a day and dry food during the day (I have to bring it in at night because of the raccoons and possum). Thanks for the suggestions and advice.

Caspers Human

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's okay to remove a stillborn kitten once the mother has seen it and recognized that it's dead.
Many times, the mother will take it away, herself but some don't. Since your cat is young, inexperience might be a factor.

I've seen dogs that actually bury their stillborn pups.
Can't imagine a cat doing that.

Once the mother knows it's dead, take it away so it doesn't rot and spread disease.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Google something like TNR in (your city) or cat rescue, although you really need TNR help as you probably aren't trying to rehome them all. You may find some suggestions for your area. It will take some footwork to contact them, but keep trying and thank you for helping these cats.

Jadems99

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I just called the apartment management and informed them that the feral cats are having kittens and she replied "feral cats?" like she didn't even know what they were. I told her I would be happy to work with them to trap the cats but I don't trust them that they won't kill the cats. I have never seen any of the cats come back. *I just spoke with another lady at the office and she is going to try to set the trapping up and they will go to a shelter to become barn cats. I will miss them though! I wish I could afford the spay/neutering but I just can't so this is my only option. She said she will have the rescue lady contact me so I can be reassured they won't be killed (unless they have feline leukemia). Thanks for your help.

furmonster mom

Lap #2
Top Cat
Purraise
I just called the apartment management and informed them that the feral cats are having kittens and she replied "feral cats?" like she didn't even know what they were. I told her I would be happy to work with them to trap the cats but I don't trust them that they won't kill the cats. I have never seen any of the cats come back. *I just spoke with another lady at the office and she is going to try to set the trapping up and they will go to a shelter to become barn cats. I will miss them though! I wish I could afford the spay/neutering but I just can't so this is my only option. She said she will have the rescue lady contact me so I can be reassured they won't be killed (unless they have feline leukemia). Thanks for your help.
The only problem I see with removing them to become barn cats is that it will leave a vacuum in the local ecosystem. Nature abhors a vacuum, and a new colony of ferals will eventually move in. Then you will just have the same issue again.

The best option is to maintain a healthy, controlled colony in their current environment.

Jadems99

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
The only problem I see with removing them to become barn cats is that it will leave a vacuum in the local ecosystem. Nature abhors a vacuum, and a new colony of ferals will eventually move in. Then you will just have the same issue again.

The best option is to maintain a healthy, controlled colony in their current environment.
AI agree with you but I really have no choice!! If I lived in a house and had money that would be different but I live in apartments!!!

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
In this case I believe you are doing the right thing. If the animals can't be fixed then you'll end up with a situation like so many well intentioned hoarders do. So many animals and not enough resources. The animals end up starving and dirty because there's just so much a person can do.

furmonster mom

Lap #2
Top Cat
Purraise
AI agree with you but I really have no choice!! If I lived in a house and had money that would be different but I live in apartments!!!
My apologies. I didn’t intend to imply that you should handle this on your own.

My thoughts were more along the lines of the message that management needs to hear.
I’m guessing that management is thinking “But we don’t want feral cats around at all!” The problem is that it’s kinda like pigeons; once they are part of the ecosystem, you really cant get rid of them completely.

Perhaps a TNR group would be better to express this message with management. They might even be able to point out any tax advantages to sway them.

How well do you know your neighbors? Do you think you could drum up some support and assistance from any of them?