De-matting long-haired cats.

rouie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello cat lovers!

I have two Persian cats and the oldest became really matted after a bath and I am wondering if anyone has any tips or tools that they have used successfully? I would greatly appreciate your help as I'm sure it's uncomfortable for him to be matted :(.

posiepurrs

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Question: did you comb the cat out completely before the bath? If the matting is severe and tight to the skin it may best best to have a groomer clip down and start anew as the coat grows in. If it is manageable, work the matts out with your fingers or the end of a comb, avoiding pulling the skin. Always make certain the cat is tangle free before bathing( a wet mat tightens as it dries) and do not scrub the coat as you bath. Blow dry against the coat growth, not in multiple directions to avoid tangling. Comb out after drying. Sorry, this is probably more than you wanted to know![emoji]128580[/emoji]

Last edited:

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'll add to @posiepurrs  good info by saying a matt cutter is a good tool to have on hand.  If your cat is on the calmer side it should be no problem to use.  My long hair tortie allows me to use it even under her arm pits (prone to matting).  You can easily cut them out - the cutter kind of saws through the matt.  Good for larger ones - I still use other methods if they are small and I'm not worried about pulling her skin.  I also always present the cutter to her for so she can "inspect" it lol. 

Brushing long haired cats on a regular basis should help also. We use a combination of tools; Furminator (essential), a wide tooth comb and a more narrow one.  Bathing gently as already mentioned should cut down on those that occur do to being wet.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

rouie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you both for the tips! I have a fine and wide tooth comb, but I just researched and bought a new one. We will see how I do. He's mainly matted on his right leg area. The rest of him is fine. But on his right leg he has like 10 matts.