De-Barking a dog???

tuxedokitties

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If training the dog and spending time with it and giving it toys to keep it occupied during the day don't work, Citronella collars are a humane, effective way to stop problem barking.

Funny, the link to the Active K9 site was in a TCS ad below - very helpful!

I can't understand surgically debarking a dog any more than I can understand declawing a cat.

If I may make a suggestion to consider in you choice of adopted dogs:
I would strongly recommend you get a male and a female (neutered and spayed, of course). That way you're less likely to have trouble with them fighting - an Alpha male and an Alpha female can live together harmoniously, but two dogs of the same sex will often vie with each other for top dog status (even if they're spayed or neutered, they'll still fight over who's going to be top dog). And if you're talking about getting a husky and a bully breed, that could be serious.

It's great that you're considering a rescue

This article has a lot of good info about adding a dog (or dogs) to your home

arlyn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I cannot understand declawing unless medically needed.
I cannot underatand debarking, ear cropping, or tail docking.

I understand that cropping and docking are part of some breeds 'standard' but aren't even these being phased out in most every other country aside from the US?

erinandseamus

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Arlyn

I understand that cropping and docking are part of some breeds 'standard' but aren't even these being phased out in most every other country aside from the US?
I think you're right. I met the owner of a briard at the dog park. He had a lot to say regarding the breed standards in the US vs Europe.

BTW, I have a shiba inu.

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
At least some people who "debark" do so through a vet. My brother was going about purchasing a Yorkshire Terrier(a minature, none the less
) & one place he visited had all adult dogs debarked. Then again, the boondocks here are very different from Chicago.

Honestly, I love to hear my dogs bark. It is all in their nature.

katiemae1277

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I immediately thought of declawing when I read your post- another way for lazy irresponsible people to get out of properly training their pet
makes me so mad! if you can't take the time to train your pet then you don't need one! Also let me chime in on the thanks for choosing a rescue pup!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

thecatsmeow

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by katiemae1277

I immediately thought of declawing when I read your post- another way for lazy irresponsible people to get out of properly training their pet
makes me so mad! if you can't take the time to train your pet then you don't need one! Also let me chime in on the thanks for choosing a rescue pup!
I wouldn't have it any other way. Working at a high capacity shelter, I see what animals come and go, and I'd get a shelter animal before I'd buy one...

loveysmummy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by TheCatsMeow

So our lease is up at the end of August, and we're making plans to get a house. When we do so we're getting 2 dogs, a Bull-Terrier and a Siberian Husky.

I want the Husky, so I'm doing a lot of research, to make sure it's going to be the right dog for me, and make sure that I raise my pup right.

Well today I bought a book on Siberian Huskies, and I was reading about barking issues some dogs may have. I didn't know this, but you can de-bark a dog, which basically removes the vocal cords, so that when the dog tries to bark, it's just a squeek.

In my opinion, that's mean, but then I read on only to read that sometimes scar tissue can grow and suppress the tracia of the dog. That's cruelty! It boggles my mind as to why this procedure is still around if there's even the slightest chance that your dog can't eat???

Sorry, just had to vent. I'm so frustrated now!!!
OH BLESS YOU. I thought this was going to be a post about 'we are getting two dogs and want to debark them'..>ACK!!!! I agree with you. Why get animals if you want to turn them into perfect creatures the absolutely cruel and not to mention LAZY! way...

catloverin_ks

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
OMG~thats insane! Why get a dog if you dont want the bark that comes with it?? I think maybe a muzzle would control some of it, if need be. People just dont care if it causes the animals any harm, it seems....as long as it makes them("people") happy, thats just my opnion of course.

solaritybengals

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My neighbor (apartment) had a beagle that could really get to howling. She got a nursing job which often required her to stay late. The dog was so good that he refused to pee inside the house. Poor thing would howl and howl because he had to pee. So she got the dog debarked
. It was so sad.

I put debarking on the same level of de-clawing and de-fanging.

arlyn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Please, add cropping and docking to the list of unwarranted barbarities.

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I definitely agree with you ladies....it's such a cruel and inhumane procedure....in my opinion, it's torture to a dog...they were created to bark, it's part of their God given instinct,...and to take that away is just horrible. I feel the same way about declawing cats.

sea witch

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I actually met a dog that had been debarked. He was a rescue, my friend who rescued him was horrified that it had been done to him. Dogs COMMUNICATE with their bark to you. My opinion of it is, if one wants a dog that isn't going to be yappy, then get a breed that tends to be quieter. Puppies, on the other hand, are always noisy, lol. But, that's why I've always had bigger dogs, they're much more quiet.

Yep, debarking, declawing, tail and ear alteration really really needs to stop.