DC Feral/Stray Cat

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

chargingrhino

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
OK, I haven't posted for a bit, so I should provide an update before I ask for advice here.

Jonas is doing well, though just as shy and hiding a lot. Part of this is our fault, though unavoidable. You see, we live in the city but we have a place in the Shenandoah Valley as well. We've put the condo in the city on the market and are looking to buy a new place - a nice row house, with more room.

Of course, de-cluttering the condo and putting it on the market meant taking all the cats out to the valley, which we did. Jonas has the basement out there, which is really nice actually - it's split level, so lots of windows and stuff. While we're in town with the other cats (because we figure taking her back-and-forth in this interim period will be way too much for her!), we have a friend coming and taking care of her. Mostly, she's in a bedroom closet, top shelf. She lets Rob pet her; me not so much (I got to that place in the city, but I think I totally pissed her off putting her in the container and taking her out to the country, lol).

So, we'll probably close on a new place in the city towards the end of October/early November. Beginning on Friday next week, we'll be staying out in the country because we're closing on the condo. So the question is: how do we handle the move back and such?

Do we just leave the basement area open and allow the cats to just all go after each other? How do we re-start socialization - doesn't it make sense to get this going before we introduce everybody to the new place in the city? I'd rather not have this continual process of having a separate room for Jonas and get these guys to finally deal with each other ....

-Chris

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
OK, I haven't posted for a bit, so I should provide an update before I ask for advice here.

Jonas is doing well, though just as shy and hiding a lot. Part of this is our fault, though unavoidable. You see, we live in the city but we have a place in the Shenandoah Valley as well. We've put the condo in the city on the market and are looking to buy a new place - a nice row house, with more room.

Of course, de-cluttering the condo and putting it on the market meant taking all the cats out to the valley, which we did. Jonas has the basement out there, which is really nice actually - it's split level, so lots of windows and stuff. While we're in town with the other cats (because we figure taking her back-and-forth in this interim period will be way too much for her!), we have a friend coming and taking care of her. Mostly, she's in a bedroom closet, top shelf. She lets Rob pet her; me not so much (I got to that place in the city, but I think I totally pissed her off putting her in the container and taking her out to the country, lol).

So, we'll probably close on a new place in the city towards the end of October/early November. Beginning on Friday next week, we'll be staying out in the country because we're closing on the condo. So the question is: how do we handle the move back and such?

Do we just leave the basement area open and allow the cats to just all go after each other? How do we re-start socialization - doesn't it make sense to get this going before we introduce everybody to the new place in the city? I'd rather not have this continual process of having a separate room for Jonas and get these guys to finally deal with each other ....

-Chris
With cats it's all about territory.  Since Jonas is the in the basement in the Valley that is her territory.  She may be very protective of it.  I wouldn't exactly let all of the cats just go at each other.  You might start with a gate by the basement stairs if that is possible.  Try to do some feedings or special treats on either side of the gate.  If that goes well, you can allow the other cats into the basement space as long as you are supervising.  When you are not there, I would not leave them all out together unless you are certain of their behavior.  In the basement you can do special food/treats and/or play time with all. 

Before you allow the other two cats back into your home in the Valley, you might want to try the washcloth trick.  Take 2 clean washcloths.  Rub the scent of each cat on one washcloth.  Get under the chin where the scent glands are located.  Take these two washcloths to the space where Jonas hangs out.  Maybe where she sleeps.  This is so she will remember their scent.  If possible you can take a towel or bedding where Jonas has been sleeping and allow the other two cats to smell it.  If you can, you can do the clean washcloth on Jonas as well and present it to the other two. 

When you then move to your new home, it will be best to bring all 3 at the same time.  The territory will be new and no one will own space.  This is good.  Some people like to crate the cats ( all in separate crates) for a few days.  You do this all in the same room.  The cats can see each other.  It also allows them time to adjust to the new scents around them.  It also evens the playing field as one cat is not out and about establishing territory. 

Moving is hard.  Moving with cats is harder.  I hope it will go smoothly for you.  Kudos to you for taking the time to be sure the move goes well. 

chargingrhino

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It's 4 cats, all told, actually. (!) And thanks for the kudos!

OK, so when we finally get them to the city, whether we do crates or not for several days, once they're out of the crates, how many litter boxes? We plan on keeping the kitty litter in the basement, so I figure we start their new territory there, yes? If we end up at the place we're thinking of, there's no door to the basement so the most adventurous of them (that would be Cavendish) will probably climb up the steps in no time. Is that cool to let them explore as they will? (I know we're getting ahead of ourselves here, but I'm just trying to envision)?

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It's 4 cats, all told, actually. (!) And thanks for the kudos!

OK, so when we finally get them to the city, whether we do crates or not for several days, once they're out of the crates, how many litter boxes? We plan on keeping the kitty litter in the basement, so I figure we start their new territory there, yes? If we end up at the place we're thinking of, there's no door to the basement so the most adventurous of them (that would be Cavendish) will probably climb up the steps in no time. Is that cool to let them explore as they will? (I know we're getting ahead of ourselves here, but I'm just trying to envision)?
For litter boxes, the golden rule is one per cat plus one extra.  So with 4 cats, you would want 5 litter boxes!  Yes, that may be overkill and in time you can probably get away with less.  Yet it's better to start with more and work your way down.

Starting territory near litter boxes is a good idea.  Allow them a few days to adjust and then you can allow them time up to explore.  Sometimes it's best to do so in pairs, not all 4 at once.  You might want Jonas to come out with the friendliest kitty.  You can then either take them back to the basement or see how things go. 

chargingrhino

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
OK, so we're in the new place now and I think we're all getting used to things.  Of course, it helps (at least with the boys) that there's a nice window in which we can watch the birds and squirrels outside (see top photo).

Jonas?  Well, she's still staying downstairs, and is in her "safe space" in the laundry room.  She hangs out nearly all the time (I think she wanders at night a little) in her cat house (see lower photo), but she seems happy and comfy.  Since the TV room is right outside her door, she hears a lot of human activity. Since the boys cat litter is also outside her door, she also hears that.  And, at feeding time, she hears all our little monsters meowing - and indeed, she's also started to vocalize herself at feeding time.

I was worried about some kind of disaster in adjusting to the new place between our boys and our little refugee girl, and clearly my concerns were unfounded.  All doors are open and cats are free to enter and leave.  Or not.  I think it's just a matter of time before Jonas figures our her place in our complicated little world.

:-)

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Thanks so much for the update!  I am happy all of your cats are doing so well!  I bet Jonas will be out and about in no time.  In the picture she looks so relaxed.  So much different than some of the previous pictures!  

I have read that when moving to a new home, it can be a great thing for cats, as no territory is owned.  It's a fresh start!

I am planning a move within the next year.  I will be taking my 2 indoor boys, a large dog and my 4 outside ferals ( who will become inside kitties).  It will be quite the undertaking!  I am so glad your move and transition went so well!!

dahlia

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Jonas really does look so much more relaxed.  I think you have made great progress and I am glad the move went well.