Daylight Savings Time

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
For those of you that are now on Daylight Savings Time, do you have all of your clocks changed? :lol3:

I did pretty well this time. I changed the alarm clocks, the grandfather clock, the car, the coffee maker and the oven. The one I forgot about was our programmable thermostat. :rolleyes:

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I changed all mine! I LOVE my two new bedroom clocks that project the time onto the ceiling, they change automatically and keep going thanks to batteries during power outages. I guess I love being able to see the time and not have to actually turn over.

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
Oh crap, I completely forgot about changing the cars' clocks....I still have to do that. I didn't even change my watch yet! 
 (I've been sick; I have an excuse. For what it's worth.)

I did change the clock on the stove and that was it. I didn't bother to change the alarm clock in the bedroom because the alarm doesn't work on it; we use our cell phones as alarms when the feline alarm clocks don't work. I'll go change that now....along with my watch. And will get the cars tomorrow, if I remember. But then in November, I'll just have to change them back again. 

We have a nice chiming clock above the piano in the living room that I won't touch. Rick's the only one who can make that thing work correctly and every time I try to change the time on it, it won't run for days. That is waiting for Rick to come home.

peaches08

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Why do we spring forward and fall back every year?

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
We don't go on DST till the end of March. My watch and most of our clocks change automatically, so I only have to worry about the microwave and the clock in the car (which we never bothered changing last year).

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I think the only ones I haven't changed are the clock in DS's bedroom and DH's car.  I did DD's last night.

I like the ones that update automatically.  Now that you mention it; I didn't do the thermostat either. But I never do.  We don't really use the programmable feature so it doesn't matter to me if it's right or not. 

kookycats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Changed everything Saturday night. The only ones we don't bother with are the clocks in the car. The Saturn is just too much trouble - they don't make it easy to change. I wish we would have daylight saving time all year long. It's so much nicer to have the extra light in the evening.

peaches08

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I wish we would have daylight saving time all year long. It's so much nicer to have the extra light in the evening.
I agree!  I've never understood why we don't.  I think Arizona doesn't change times, but I'm not 100% on that.

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I changed almost everything on Saturday evening before going to bed. I left the ones that auto change. I don't wear a watch so I don't need to worry about that.  And I don't bother changing my answering machine because it's too tedious and slow to do (IE: 1 am, 2 am, 3 am,  etc until you get to the right hour). It isn't bad springing ahead, but to go back I have to listen to it count 23 hours.

Daylight time isn't used everywhere in the world. In Canada, Saskatchewan and some parts of B.C. don’t use it nor do Arizona and Hawaii in the U.S. It is unnecessary at or near the equator, because the length of each day remains the same or varies by just a small amount. And the  majority of countries in Africa and Asia don’t use daylight saving time.

Here is the history of time changing:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/springing-forward-falling-back-the-history-of-time-change-1.755925
Daylight time was first enacted in Germany in 1915, then quickly adopted by Britain and much of Europe and Canada.

Because the sun shone for a time while most people were still asleep in the morning, it was reasoned that light could be better used during the day. The solution was to push the clocks ahead one hour in springtime, forcing people to wake an hour earlier. They would therefore expend less energy trying to light their homes, for instance, if time were adjusted to suit their daily patterns.

When the days started getting shorter in the fall and people awoke to increasing darkness, the clocks were turned back an hour to get more light in the morning.

Last edited:

fhicat

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I changed all mine! I LOVE my two new bedroom clocks that project the time onto the ceiling, they change automatically and keep going thanks to batteries during power outages. I guess I love being able to see the time and not have to actually turn over. :bigwink:
Haha I should try to get my hands on one of those!

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I didn't change the time on most of my clocks last fall :anon:. Every time I looked at one I would think "hmm, I should change that" but I just never did. I would subtract an hour in my head; usually I knew the hour anyway so I was just looking at the minutes. Now I have to remember that the clocks are actually correct :tongue2:.

Or course I changed my alarm clock and my cell phone does it automatically, and I did change the car clock. But the microwave, the thermostat, the living room clock, the bathroom clock. . .not changed. At least now they're correct :rolleyes:.

Last edited:

larussa

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I usually start changing my clocks on Sat. afternoon rather than all of them on Sunday.  I'm always ahead of the game