Day 40 on feral kitten - not very much hope left

zatteberry

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

My name is  Zach. I have been working at the humane society here in Hannibal for two years now and have volunteered for two years as well at the facility. 

One thing I have picked up is socializing feral kittens. I have socialized quite a few within the last year and have gotten them adopted. 

The one I am socializing now I have been working on for about 40 days.  At first when I removed him from the pet carrier he hissed and bit me through a pair of welding gloves. He used to hiss at me right when he saw my face and launch attacks at me without me even opening the cage. Now I can pet him anywhere (including stomach) when he is eating canned food and very rarely I can do it when he is not. 

But since I have been free-feeding he almost has no interest during the socialization sessions so he has resorted to watching me very carefully all of a sudden... and sometimes he even stops eating to give me a nasty look. The good thing is that his ears are always erect and that he has been sleeping closer to the opening of the cage rather than in the corner which is a great thing.  And he seems to be interested in what is going on outside the cage.

Today I am going to start leaving just a little kitten food (and of course water at all times) to cover just  the time I am gone and start meal time during the sessions. I feel I am not making the progress I want to by this point and it is worrying me... I have even thought about letting the feral kitten out in my room to see if the progress accelerates. He seems to like talking with my other cats through the cage and playing with them through the cage.

Thoughts? Ideas? I value any help and support I can get during this time...

Thank you all very much in advance for your interest in helping me get this kitten up to speed for adoption.

Last edited:

ritz

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Thanks for taking care of this cat.  How old is the cat, and is he in a room with other cats, and are these cats in cages?

I would feed him only when you are with him (not free feed); hunger and you providing the food is a way to a kittens' heart :)

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Definitely use meal time as a socialization time too.  Gerber stage 1 baby food (Chicken or turkey) work really well.  Have you tried playing with him?  Most cats/kittens love lasers, da bird, feathers, string, etc...  Working with ferals takes loads and loads of time and patience.  I always feel it is one step forward, two steps back.  My feral, Shadow was around 5 months when I first found him.  Today he is just over 3 and we still have days when he reverts back to his feral ways.  I could pet him after 8 months, but before that he loved play time.  Now he is able to be picked up and even sits on my lap.  Yet it is always on his terms. 

Thank you so much for all of the work you are doing with the ferals.  It takes a special person to give all of the time and energy that is needed.  You will get there.

Have you ever used flower essences?  They can be added to wet food or applied to the fur while petting.  I love Feral cat rehab from Spirit essences.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Yes. Also, begin seessions with him with a play session with one of his pals.  Take the friendliest one. so he can look and see you interacting amiably and friendly.  They do learn from each other, esp from pals.

Good luck!

krz

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
First let me say,   how great it is what you are doing!!!!  I, too,  have a heart for the feral kittens and have socialized some.  Right now I have 4 five week old ones,  and they are just letting me pick them up and hold them.   I would say to just hang in there.  Is there possibly another kitten you could add to the cage you have?   A friendly kitten?  Perhaps if the feral kitten sees you playing with and handling the friendly one,   things will progress faster.

The 4 feral kittens I have had for over a week,  progress was very slow, they were hiding most of the time.  I am also fostering 4 friendly kittens which I just picked up on Sunday.  What a big difference it has made for the feral kittens,  they are so interested in watching me interact with the other kittens,  they are no longer hiding and don't run when I pick them up.  I still get the occasional hiss,  but that is all.

Good luck!!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

zatteberry

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you all for the support and advice! I am really trying to stay positive. Usually it takes 3 or so months for me to socialize a feral, depending on age and other factors. But this is the first time it has been this slow with a feral kitten. I have started to do scheduled sessions with feedings. I try to spend 2 hours a day with the kitten and on my days I don't spend a lot of time at the shelter I spend upwards of five hours with the kitten.

Will update you as this goes. I will be trying this method for a little while longer and see how it goes. Some days it feels like there is no progress at all. Especially on days I can pet him while feeding him with no problem then the next I can't right away! Also I have started using the feral cat rehab... I bought it a month ago and just now am I getting the chance to use it. I can't wait to see if it helps any with the results. Also I have tried the baby food some a few days ago and I could actually get him on my lap as with the canned cat food I could not! So this will be used with all new things I try with him!

I have started just sitting in the cage with the kitten but I have thought several times about just letting the kitten out with my three adult cats as I had with another one. The only thing I am scared about is the kitten hiding under the bed. 

I am 19 so I still live with my mom, and I basically have the whole upstairs to myself. Here is a picture of my upstairs.

And Here is a picture of my three adult cats.

Last edited:

ritz

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
If the kitten hides under the bed, I bet one of the other kittens/cat will get him out :)

He may hide for a while, but again I think just watching the other cats have fun playing may get him out from under.

Great success with the baby food, it's been known to work wonders.  (I give it to Ritz when she throws up.)

Ritz was one of four kittens, abandoned when they were around four months old, survived a 20 inch snow storm.

Ritz and Taz were socialized and ready to be adopted out in one month.

Ripley and Riley took six months:  same house, same foster parents; different cats. 

FWIW:  Ritz and Taz are short-haired; Ripley and Riley, long haired.  (R&R were adopted out together to the same woman, which was a really nice ending.)

dorothy green

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi:

Can you please tell me what the name of the harness/jacket with leash clip that you have on your cat? I am trying to introduce a ferel cat, about a year old or less, to my family of five other rescues. She is fine with people, but she wants to kill my other cats. She does not hide or run away from them, she goes to attack them, and I mean attack. You would not believe the sounds and frenzy. She is the sweetest thing, as a matter of fact at the vet's where I adopted her from, they were using her as a wet nurse for some kittens. I have her in a bedroom but she wants out, but I don't want my other cats injured. I was told by holding her next the other cats that she may feel trapped and chooses fight because she cannot "flight". So I thought that if I could find a harness/jacket type item it might work. I am not able to get a regular flimsy cat harness on her. Help!

zatteberry

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Just spent 3 hours in the cage with the kitten. At first hissed at me (but only when I reached out at him). Gave him his dinner (canned cat food) and he started chowing down. I started petting him all over from head to tail and even his stomach. After he was done eating I continued to stroke his head back and forth for about 20 to 30 minutes and he started purring and stretched he feet out to where they hung just slightly over my legs.

When I got out he did kind of scoot to the corner for an hour to sleep but he is currently in the middle of the cage on the cover and looking out. I suppose the best thing is that he isn't in the litter box. He was in the litter box for the first 20 days and at first was so scared he would hiss at me just from seeing my face. 

Today was one of the breakthrough days... and I hope it continues. I added feral cat rehab supplements to this mornings feeding and the one I just did. I try to space them 5-6 hours a part (3 to 4 dosings per day added to a little baby food). 

I can honestly say that switching away from free feeding was the best thing I have done!

---The Harness jacket I use is made by HDW ENTERPRISES & Foothill Felines Bengals. It comes in many sizes (leash not included, I just bought one from Amazon to use with the harness). 

Last edited:

suzi saul

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi Zat. I have also socialied some ferals. I have done it in 0 days -1 month with 1-3 month old kittens. :) Except one. She has taken 5 months and was only about a month old when we "met"! As with you, she started out by allowing me to pet her when she ate. Finally, after 5 months, she is asking me to pet her, meowing at me, twining in between my legs, etc. I can pick her up, but the last time I did it, I promised her I'd never do it again unless it was an emergency. She's just sooo scared of me touching or being near her face or being near MY face!  The other kittens I caught recently really helped a lot with her. She would sneak in to get pet while one of them was being pet, like she was pretending it was the other cat doing it lol. Watching the other kittens play with me and an interactive toy also loosened her up. She wanted badly to be a part of the petting and playing, and finally she started to join in. She roams free in the house, and has a "safe place" that I never go...the fortress, I call it. I have a blanket draped over a chair like a fort. She can see just about everything that goes on from there.

One other thing...ignoring her helped a lot!! When she figured out that I wasn't going to do anything to her or lunge after her, she started to warm up. I mean, I didn't even look at her. Just wanted you to know that yep, it can take a while! I think it depends on just how feral they are...the further away from being an indoor cat they are, generation-wise, I think the harder it is.

zatteberry

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have made some progress but I am still ticked off I am not making as much progress as I would like. Today I did get him to move onto my lap while I was getting him to eat some chicken and chicken gravy baby food which is a great acheivement but after he was done eating he back into his little corner. I am able to pet the kitten anywhere while he eats canned food and I can continue petting him as long as I want if I am right next to him. He is however scared of a hand going towards him if he is not distracted. And he does claw at my hand once in a while such as me reaching in from the outside into the cage to pet him.

The main problem is him lashing out when he sees a hand going towards him, so that is one key thing I am worried about. And of course I still have to get him used to being picked up... which still seems like a long way away from getting to that stage. I have spent three hours with him everyday for the past 10 days and I am surprised he is still sleeping in the corner and not coming out of his corner very much. The only other idea I have is letting him out of the cage as recently discussed. I just don't want to give up too quick and I don't want to fail in my mission to socialize him this far into it. 

I will continue what I am doing with the food for now.

Thoughts, ideas, advice? 

...Thank you.

Last edited:

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
With ferals, I think socializing is a lifetime experience!  It all comes with baby steps.  My first goal was for my feral to just approach me with food and for us to just sit and get used to each other.  This went on for months.  Next was play time.  He loved playtime.  Laser, feathers, catnip toys, ball, string, etc...  After 8 months, I finally decided to try and touch him.  I used the feather toy to rub over his body so he got used to it.  Gradually I was able to pet him.  Brushing was next.  He loved the brush.  Next I went to lifting him up just a bit off the ground.  He still hates to be picked up.  I can lift him and move him, but he does not want me to hold him.  For over a year I worked on getting him to sit in my lap.  Finally this past winter, he made his way into my lap.  I have been working with my feral since he was 7 months old.  He is now almost 3/12 years old.  It is a process and one that takes so much time, dedication, effort and patience.  You are doing great.  Ferals seem to beat to their own drum and move at a very slow pace.  I always feel it's 1 step forward and often 2 giant steps back. 

Have you tried any flower essences?  I love Feral Cat rehab by Spirit essences. 

ondine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
You may have to look for a home that accepts the fact that he's not a lap cat. We have two former feral's who are so sweet but who do not like to be picked up. They act as if I am planning to eat them if I approach without their permission! But they are members of our kitty crew. He sounds like he's taken tremendous steps. Bless you for helping him!

zatteberry

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have purchased feral cat rehab just recently and I plan on using it. How often do you use it and what application method do you use? Some suggest rubbing it on their fur - others suggest putting in the water. Also what is your experience with its impact on socializing ferals? 

Also he seems a little scared of toys right now that are actual objects. Should I try a laser light to get him used to playing?

Made some progress today. I got him to get into my lap again today with the baby food. He actually allowed me to pet him stomach and he purred to that. He did move back after he was done eating but seemed more calm and interested in what my other adult cats were doing (they were playing). He layed more so near the front of the cage than the back corner. He did travel back on my lap a little later looking for food but I didn't have any at that time so he slowly made he way off my lap at that point. It is a good thing he WANTS to go on my lap at least a little bit.

Little by little...

Thank you very much!

-Zach

Last edited:

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have purchased feral cat rehab just recently and I plan on using it. How often do you use it and what application method do you use? Some suggest rubbing it on their fur - others suggest putting in the water. Also what is your experience with its impact on socializing ferals? 

Also he seems a little scared of toys right now that are actual objects. Should I try a laser light to get him used to playing?

Made some progress today. I got him to get into my lap again today with the baby food. He actually allowed me to pet him stomach and he purred to that. He did move back after he was done eating but seemed more calm and interested in what my other adult cats were doing (they were playing). He layed more so near the front of the cage than the back corner. He did travel back on my lap a little later looking for food but I didn't have any at that time so he slowly made he way off my lap at that point. It is a good thing he WANTS to go on my lap at least a little bit.

Little by little...

Thank you very much!

-Zach
I have used the Feral Cat Rehab on 3 ferals, one as a 7 month old kitten.  I would put it into their wet food or baby food.  At the time I couldn't touch any of the ferals so food or treats was my only option.  Since you can pet the kitten, I would put it into wet food or baby food 2x a day and then apply to the fur 2 other times.  Getting it into their system 4x a day is best.  The first feral I used it on was so skittish.  I began using feral cat rehab and about 10 days later, he came inside my house.  This was HUGE!  Prior to the feral cat rehab, he would run and hide each time he saw me coming.  I had the same results with another feral about 6 months later.  The flower essences do take time to work.  Usually you will see results in 1-3 weeks.  You can also spray the cats bedding with it.  I never put it into water, as I was never sure how often the cats drank. 

The laser was the first toy my feral absolutely loved.  At first I tried the feather on a wand and he was terrified.  Give it a try and see how it works.  I have always heard that when you play with cats, you should offer a treat when you are done.  It makes a good association as well as satisfying their hunt/eat approach.

Sounds like you are doing terrific work.  Keep it up and look for small baby steps!

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
One comment I have for you and another poster here regarding taming of the very young, 4-6 weeks old, but not 7 weeks and up so much. But a hissing, spitting, maybe growling kitten is just that, grab them up by their scruff and very snugly wrap up like a burrito. Nothing out but their head, arms secure inside the wrap is very important. And that's it! Pack them around with you, and they tame extremely fast. This also forces them to see that sitting on your lap is a good thing, not scarey.

Older kits this is not so effective on and you must work basically at their pace. But the very young ones, shoot, I can tame them through witholding food and hand feeding, and burrito wrapping them in just a couple days.

Time is def. a huge factor here, the sooner the better.

I didn't see what the age of the kitten you are currently taming is.

But even with setback days, you are making great progress!

One other thing, many times a kitten will tame to the tamer, but revert back with strangers, which is no help in getting them adopted, so if you have any chance to have someone else work with him, or even just spend a little time so they see that it's not only 1 safe human, but humans in general are good.

Always talk to him too. I sing, humm, whatever.

lilys mom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
You are doing better than many.  Ferals need lots of time sometimes.  For one so young, I admire you and your efforts and applaud them.   Keep up the good work.

zatteberry

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Today the kitty was really laid back when I petted him. Spent 5 hours with him in two separated 2 1/2 hour sittings. He allowed me to pet him for 1 hour from head to his hindquarters without problem after I got my hand on him (I use food to distract him everytime I take my hand off and am ready to put it back on him). Also for the first time ever, he has started playing with toys I have put in his cage!!! Another milestone that shows just how good he is doing. I started out with the laser toy which lead the way. He was enjoying the attention today so much he was stretching pretty good.

Since he was so good today I decided to use baby food to entice him to my lap since I had been doing that for several days now. This time he went all the way on my lap with all 4 paws to eat the baby food. He was there for 1 minute. After he was done eating however he freaked out and jumped back real fast. He was real alert (eyes really big) for and wasn't receptive to much petting for a little bit.

Was that a bad idea of seeing how far he could go on my lap?A little bit later he was purring really hard again when I petted him. He was even grooming when I was petting him. He has been a lot more active about getting out of his corner, too. He started batting out of the cage trying to play with my other 2 cats and they batted back, also. He stood at the front of the cage near the gate for 2 hours just looking out, batting, very interested in what was going on outside the cage.

I have decided that in approx 2 weeks I will let the kitten out, mabye sooner! My new guidelines are going to be for all my feral fosters that that a kitten has to accept basic petting to be let out and not be overly hissy.

Thank you for your support... I really do appeciate it. This is the first cat forum I have found that has offered help and advice like you all have. 

Doing the best I can!

Zach

Last edited:

ondine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Wow! It sounds like all your hard work is paying off. I think the lap thing is just his getting used to something new. He may very well turn out to be a lap cat after all. Keep up the good work!