Day 3 with feral cat, advice and opinions?

ondine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Oh, thank you so much for the update!  Ritz is correct - he's getting overstimulated.  Cats who have not spent a lot of time around people are like human loners - they don't know the social niceties and just aren't sure what is expected of them.  So sometimes they miss our signals and give off mixed signals of their own.  As you get to know one another better, you will get better at reading each others signals.

Is there a way you can add a cat door into the garage?  It will give him an area of his own "inside" and perhaps get him used to the idea of being more of a housecat.  It does sound like he remembers your kindness and has decided to take advantage of your hospitality again.

I would try to introduce Grimace (who is adorable BTW) and Fitz as slowly as possible.  Cats really need time to adjust to changes, no matter how small they seem to us.  Take it slowly and allow the cats to set the pace.

One more thing - if he stares at you, don't stare back.  This is a challenge in the feral world, so a slow blink will let him know you're cool.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

dec76

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I don't think we should add a door to the garage due to the number of racoons in the area.  As it is, we have already had to be very careful about bringing in food immediately after Ftiz eats and racoons have gone after Ftiz while he's eating a few times (I've grabbed the kitchen broom and taken a swing or two at them for it).

I think I will just start ending my pets early to try to discourage the behavior.   As far as brining him inside, I think I will hide Grim in the master bedroom and let Ftiz explore a bit and then see how Grim responds to that.

For the fun of it, here is what Fitz looks like as of this mornings breakfast.  I can't seem to get a non-glowing eye picture with my phone.  I'll have to break out my camera sometime and get a good one.

ondine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Oh, he is gorgeous.  I've always favored the black kitties.  You plan will definitely work to introduce Fitz and Grimace to each other's smell.  If they enjoy being brushed, use the same brush and co-mingle their scents.  Another way to establish a community scent.

One thing you also want to make sure is that you take up all food outside before dark.  If there's anything, even a crumb, it will attract the little masked critters.   I've chased a few in my day with a broom, too, the little buggers.

Just a thought - there is a cat door that uses microchips to unlock it.  It would mean trapping Fitz again to have the microchip put in but it would definitely keep the raccoons and other critters out of the garage.