dawnofsierra just called

dawnofsierra

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Wow, you guys are really the greatest!
We're so blessed to have had each of you keeping us in your prayers and thoughts through this ordeal. That's surely what kept us safe and secure! I'm just glowing with joy to read your wonderful messages!

The weather sure did get crazy there for a while. The wind was literally shaking the walls and we could hear debris flying around and occassionally hitting house. Both my babies sensed the storm coming from 6 am the day of the hurricane, although it didn't actually begin until hours later.Sierra was super brave and snuggled up at Mommy's side to keep me safe!
Serenity never broke physical contact with me during the entire storm. This was her first hurricane, and the first time she's ever felt so nervous, poor little girl! When we would get a big gust of wind against the window, she would jump about a foot and then curl around my neck as tightly as she could! Supposed she just didn't want me to be scared.

Once the rain wasn't blowing so hard horizontally, I opened a few of the windows, creating a lovely breeze throught the house! When the eye came over us, I thought it was over because everything was suddenly calm. That was when Tanya told me we still the other half of the hurricane to go! I was shocked when Eddie said how badly Salter Path has damaged as well as the loss of a couple of restaurants and a long standing pier. Salter Path is about 5 minutes from where we live! Outside our house were down power lines, some hanging down to the ground. The road in front of our house was not passable due to the the lines that were down.

Once the storm had passed, my babies relaxed and were ready for a nice long nap, as was I. As Tanya said earlier, the realty company informed us it would lilkely be 6 days before the power returned!
Wow, did that seem like a long time! I really wasn't sure what I was going to do, because it was already hot and sticky in the house without air and everything in the fridge was getting warmer by the minute. What I would have given for a hot shower and a cold glass of water! It's really amazing how something like that really makes you appreciate the basics! Having been given an estimate of 6 days, boy were we overjoyed when the electricity came back Friday!

As I mentioned, since the power came back, I agreed to go into work. It was on that drive that I realized how much damage had been done through town. Lots of homes had lost significant amounts of their roof, had windows blown in, a couple with holes blown through the side of the house. The signs outside several restaurants and stores had blown away leaving only the metal pole that once held them. Some trees were down, and the mobile home community situated right on the beach had a great deal of damage as well. Crossing over the bridge from the island, I saw boats that had apparently broken away from where they were secured and were overturned on shore. There are probably people looking for their boats today! As for my house, we lost shingles from the roof, the gutters and a drainpipe, quite minimal. We surely had angels watching over us!

I promised pictures, and as much of a procrastinator as I usually am about getting them posted, I had actually resized them and had them ready to put on the computer, but now I can't find my usb cable anywhere! A little while back I was wondering how I had accumulated so many, and now I can't find a single one! I'm really looking forward to getting them on here!

Thank you guys, again, for being so great!

sar

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Stephanie, I am so pleased to read that you, Sierra and Serenity are safe and well and the storm didn't do too much damage to your home!

It certainly sounds like a very scary experience! I just can't imagine what it would be like!

It was so lovely of Sierra and Serenity to make sure that you weren't scared! They are such wonderful care takers of their Meowmy!

So glad you're back!

dawnofsierra

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

These are when the storm had just started getting rough. They look to have been taken at night, but it was still daylight out! They're difficult to see because the rain was so heavy, and even from under the porch, the wind was blowing so hard, the rain kept hitting the lens of the camera.

These are from when the eye was passing over us and it was suddenly calm!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

hissy

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hey you! Glad the three of you made it out okay. Next time, find a safer place to ride out a hurricane no matter what category it is!

xocats

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I agree with MA.
Stephanie, next time...please go to a safer place.
We love you & do not want to see you or your babies hurt.

I thank God that you, Sierra & Serenity are ok.

Lei
Originally Posted by hissy

Hey you! Glad the three of you made it out okay. Next time, find a safer place to ride out a hurricane no matter what category it is!

snowleop

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by xocats

I agree with MA.
Stephanie, next time...please go to a safer place.
We love you & do not want to see you or your babies hurt.

I thank God that you, Sierra & Serenity are ok.

Lei
I'll triple that. I'm so glad all of you are safe and that your house suffered minimal damage.

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Stephanie, I'm so happy all three of you are okay, and that your power is back on. I love your comments about the cats trying to make you feel safer! I'll never forget how Jamie, who was just a kitten, wrapped himself around my neck and stayed there during Hurricane Lothar (December 26, 1999 - not a date people in this area are likely to forget).

sashacat421

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by dawnofsierra

Serenity never broke physical contact with me during the entire storm. This was her first hurricane, and the first time she's ever felt so nervous, poor little girl!
....."first hurricane"?????? Goodness gracious!!!

emma's friend

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by hissy

Next time, find a safer place to ride out a hurricane no matter what category it is!
Can't ya'll see Stephanie and Sierra and Serenity landing in Oz like Dorothy?
Picture the three of them skipping down the yellow-bricked-road!

(Glad you're all okay!)

rockinrhonda

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
dawnofsierra
im so glad to see you made it through the hurricane when i was on my way to durham i cant tell you how many trucks [southern bell]eletric companys [red cross] going down the high to where you were at thank goodness your alright i am so sick of theses storms hurricanes we have one month and a half left i hope we see nomore!

babyharley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Stephanie--How great that you are all safe and sound during the hurricane!
You must have had some very special angels watching over you all keeping you safe and sound. Great to finally hear from you again!