Daschands(sp?)

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Loveysmummy

Its funny as when I had Dobermans (a german dog as well), and my german friends came to Canada to visit, they wouldn't even meet them.
They said that in Germany, people are always scared of dobermans as they are so vicious..I was incredulous as my two and (many dobes here) were big sucks..They were somewhat aloof to strangers but were not vicious in any way and were big sucky lapdogs

They still wouldn't budge!
When did they visit? Four or five years ago, a little boy in Hamburg who was outside playing during recess was killed by two American Staffordshires who jumped the fence into the schoolyard. That led many German states to ban so-called "dangerous breeds", i.e., pit bulls and their variants, outright, and to require that other large and "potentially dangerous" breeds, including Rottweilers and Dobermanns, be leashed and muzzled at all times outdoors. The owners have to pay really steep license fees (over $1,000 annually in my area), prove that they have no criminal record, and have the dog tested for aggression. That's when the statistics on dog bites started to be published. What the statistics don't tell you is that Shepherds and Dachshunds are the most popular breeds, so naturally there are more bites than, say, by Airedales or Viszlas, which you rarely see here. Ear cropping and tail docking have been illegal here since the late 80s (1987, if I remember correctly), and the Dobermanns look far less dangerous with floppy ears and long tails.

I personally prefer big dogs, and think they're less apt to nip kids because the kids don't tower over them. Then again, the only small dog we ever had was a Beagle (wonderful with kids, but not so great with cats). The absolute best dog we had with children was a Boxer (he adored children, and was very protective of them), and he was wonderful with cats. Unfortunately, he was horrible with other dogs after being bitten and injured. I'm just not certain that a Dachshund qualifies as a "beginner's dog", any more than an Airedale, Dobermann, or Shepherd does, because they can have dominance issues.
For a beginner, I'd suggest a mutt, a Beagle or Fox Hound, or a Labrador or Golden Retriever. The two latter breeds are those most often used as guide or companion dogs nowadays, because of their docile temperaments and intelligence, and since they're not as prone to hip dysplasia as Shepherds. That said, my parents spent decades adopting Labs from shelters (my mom still has two), and two of the ones they adopted were great with family, but couldn't be trusted with visitors. Without exception, they all got along with cats.

loveysmummy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sorry, but I would tend to agree with Jcat on this, Rock and Fluff's mom.
Any hound or any dog with known stubbornness issues or say training challenges is not a beginner's dog.
Dogs like these, ESPECIALLY, in a house with children, other animals, requires consistent experienced training unless you are very prepared for behavioural issues.

I don't mean to be a downer but there are many great "starter" dogs which can make the transition to dog owning easier and more rewarding!

And JCat, they have been over a few times, but this was a few years ago with the dogs... They told me that all dobermans in Germany are muzzled and they thought it was a different line of dog in Germany. This is true to a certain extent.
North American lines seem to be geared towards more of a gentle dog whereas in Germany, they breed more working lines. So I can understand their apprehension.

And even here, a poodle is the most popular dog for biting, but these bites are often not reported as they are small and least "fatal". A more random bite from a Doberman could land you in the hospital and thus, dogs in the "big/scary" category often get a bad rep which leads stupid people to invest in the "bad dog" which in turn gives the dog a bad rep. sigh..

Also, smaller toy/companion dogs are often coddled and spoiled. This leads many smaller dogs to get the bad rep as barkers and nippy...This only causes smaller dogs to think they are alpha and be thoroughly unpleasant.
Bottom line, don't coddle or constantly pick up and treat your small dog.
Treat him like a big dog. He doesn't know he is any different

Cheers