Danger and Dentals

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have traced too many deaths within 6 months of a dental in older animals( are they not the usual ones needing them outside genetic issues? ).... I have lost a cat and a dog who both were ULTRA stable and PRE OP blood work showed nothing outside their known issues... I also did the extra fluids and pre op antibiotics...

I use preventative care as I will NOT contribute to another of my seniors dying in this way

If you choose too ... I 1000% agree discuss the anesthesia and antibiotics prior ...Plus make sure the blood work is within 30 days

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sharky

I have traced too many deaths within 6 months of a dental in older animals( are they not the usual ones needing them outside genetic issues? ).... I have lost a cat and a dog who both were ULTRA stable and PRE OP blood work showed nothing outside their known issues... I also did the extra fluids and pre op antibiotics...

I use preventative care as I will NOT contribute to another of my seniors dying in this way

If you choose too ... I 1000% agree discuss the anesthesia and antibiotics prior ...Plus make sure the blood work is within 30 days
But what about quality of life? If that dental Ootay (rb 5/09) had in October had any bearing on me letting her go in May, it still was worth it, as she spent her last 8 months without mouth pain.

However, Ootay was already prone to stroke, because she could not take the medicines that control hyperthyroid and high blood pressure, either one. She had one stroke, in June, four months before the dental, with full recovery, one in November, six weeks after the dental, full recovery except for a slight paralysis. It wasn't her kidney disease that caused her death, it was the third stroke.

I don't think the dental had anything to do with the strokes, but even if it had, I am glad she was free of pain those last months.

Bibbs (rb 3/05) had her first dental at age 10, and another at 13. Ootay didn't have (or need) a dental until she was 13, then not another until she was over 17. And it was, had become, a quality of life issue for her, mouth pain, not eating, not to mention the constant strain on her already failing kidney's from the bacteria of periodontal disease.

Tolly has had several, his first being when he was 6. He is my seizure kitty. I do home care for him, (started when he was 7) but he has had resorptive lesions and quite a few extractions. He has not needed a cleaning in almost 3 years now.

Neither Mazy (almost 6) nor Jennie (4) have ever had, or needed yet, dental cleanings. I started home care on them early. With luck, they will not need too many, if any, cleanings, as they age.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Mine STARTED down hill within weeks in one case ... so IT LOWERED quality of life that had been Good to very Good

4 other cases of friends animals took the same turn all loosing their animals within a few months of mine... Fine and Healthy till dental done within few weeks to few months all take turns for the worse and then die ... all were done by different vets with different anesthesias

Of course all the animals I am seeing were seniors cats over 14 and dogs over 8 ...

Would I do a dental on a younger animal... I would think long and hard but likely would

mews2much

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My friends sphynx would not be dead now if he had not had the dental.
She feels she killed him and it will be 3 years in April.
I agree with sharky and no so many cats that died from them.

kattiekitty

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hello,
I just wanted to post some info too. I actually work as an RVT in a small animal practice. I have done hundreds of dental cleanings in my career and haven't had an anesthetic complication yet. We do cleanings on older patients as well. a couple weeks ago I did one on a 16 year old cat and last week did one on a 12 year old heart patient dog. Both recovered beautifully. The key is to suit the anesthetic protocol to the patient. We never use ketamine in cats because of possible reactions. Instead we use a sedative of acepromazine and atropine and then a gas anesthetic for induction. Once the cleaning is done the gas is turned off and the patient wakes up. we always reccomend bloodwork prior to the anesthetic. This checks the liver and kidney functions as well as a CBC to make sure all organs that filter the anesthesia work properly. We can't always predict if a patient may be allergic to the drugs, but have never encountered an issue. I believe that dental health in the pet is important, and that to let the teeth go can lead to other issues such as heart and kidney disease. There is a reason to be concerned but discuss these with your vet and make sure that all the precautions needed are taken to make the experience as safe as possible.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Kattiekitty

There is a reason to be concerned but discuss these with your vet and make sure that all the precautions needed are taken to make the experience as safe as possible.
I agree 100% ... I did take all precautions and had issues after the fact but as with MOST things related to kitty health YOUR vet will be the best judge of what is likely best...

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

misskalamata

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Counting the cats getting dentals mentioned in this thread (not including Kattiekitty's "hundreds" of dentals), we have 27 positive outcomes and 6 negative....or 79% positive outcomes. Not so encouraging.

I wish there were real numbers I could look at:
-What percentage of cats do not survive a dental?
-What percentage of senior cats do not survive a dental?
-What percentage of cats have complications from dentals?
-What percentage of cats with healthy/clean teeth develop renal failure by ages 10 and 15?
-What percentage of cats with gingivitis/bad teeth develop renal failure by ages 10 and 15?
-What percentage of feline renal failure cases have dental disease as a contributing factor?
.... It'd sure be nice to have the answers. Oh well. I guess we can only guess.

I probably will have the dental done on this cat...his teeth are bad,...but I will certainly reconsider getting dentals for the others.

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think your best bet is to get to a dentist you trust, and discuss all these concerns with him/her. Periodontal disease will eventually affect the kidneys, liver, and even the heart... So IMO a dental is definitely the lesser of the evils.
Bugsy just had a dental - he has very bad stomatitis, periodontal disease, root exposures, and resorptive lesions... He will need surgery in about 6 months - he is only 2 1/2. He did beautifully through anesthesia, and when I asked them, they said the GREAT GREAT majority of cats do, and have no problem from dentals; the problems are more from the lack of dentals then from the reverse...

cloud_shade

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Both of my senior cats have had dentals. Spot had surgery for an abscess and had a dental at the same time--he also had hyperthyroidism and heart disease. He eventually died from a heart attack or stroke. His dental was done years ago back when the vet still used ketamine. Odo, my current senior, has had three dentals done. His were done using isoflurane and propofol. Two of his dentals involved extractions due to broken teeth and FORLs.

I figured I should add my positive experience to the total to improve the numbers.
Also, remember that if there is dental disease, not having a dental done is a risk too. Bad teeth allow bacteria into the bloodstream where they can affect the organs, especially the heart, kidneys and liver. You are making a choice either way. I prefer to have the procedure done when I know my cat is relatively healthy and stable--that way I avoid waiting until there is an infection present and my cat is at greater risk. My vet only uses isoflurane and propofol on my older kitties--that combination is safer and works well for them (the same combination was used when my kitty Willow had a feeding tube inserted prior to her passing--she was very ill at the time but came through the procedure without any ill effects).