Dandruff?

musickitty

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My kitty, a greyish tabby with a mostly black back, has what looks like dandruff! Is there a way to solve this? Thanks!

E and Margo

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise
I agree, it is worth looking at diet, and also grooming.  Do you brush and clear dead hairs regularly?  Have you had a close look while petting to see what your cat's skin looks like, check that it isn't looking red, or dry and sore in any way?  If there is any crusting or redness I would suggest letting a vet have a look.  

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

musickitty

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I just got Margo yesterday, and the shelter didn't tell me what they were feeding her. Right now she's alternating on different set foods (some Friskies, some 4Health, some Purina and some Fancy Feast). I've brushed her once and some hair came with but it was mostly the dandruff-looking flakes.

Draco

NOT Malfoy!
Veteran
Purraise
Is the home dry? Dry air can cause dandruffs as well (it does for my kitty).

Wet food will also help reduce dandruffs.

If the skin looks irritated or red, take her to the vet. If it looks normal otherwise, quality wet food and non-dry air will help. Considering you just got her, it may take time for the dandruffs to go away with these changes.

musickitty

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The air in my apartment is average, I would say. She's going to the vet on Saturday anyway due to the adoption contract with the shelter.
Could the dandruff go away from averagely wet/dry air and good food? Keep in mind, I've had her since Saturday mornig

Draco

NOT Malfoy!
Veteran
Purraise
My cat had pretty bad dandruffs few years ago. I upgraded his food and got a room humidifier for the winter months. He hasn't had much dandruffs since then. I think minor dandruffs is normal, especially in winter months. I think its more noticeable in black cats

Last edited:

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise
One of my girls was prone to it, she had very thick, medium length fur and in winter I think her skin used to suffer a bit. She also had a sebaceous cyst at the root of her tail that started up when she was about 15 and didn't go away.  She was intollerant of quite few different types of food and that didn't help managing things: her fur was actually quite oily and she constantly shed huge amounts of fur.  Grooming always helped clear the dandruf.  

musickitty

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Margo's dandruff is much better! She's been home with me in her new adopted household for under a week, but she's only been eating wet food since Saturday, and she's lived in a house instead of a glass box at a shelter. She's been getting nearly nightly brushings and lots of cuddles and pets, which has really helped the dandruff go away. 

We go to the vet on Saturday, so I'll keep everyone updated!

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise
This sounds like a positive development so here's to the routine vet visit going smoothly.  I'm sure the settled home environment, wet food, and plenty of petting and gentle grooming is doing wonders for her, both inside and out!  Will be waiting to hear how things go on Saturday.