Dandruff on my cat?

terestrife

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My cat gets dandruff on her fur. I only bathed her the first year, since she doesnt get on my bed, i figured there was no point making her go through that. What could be causing this?

She doesnt have fleas, as i have her on paradyne/revolution.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Dandruff and flaky skin is common in the winter months becauseof the dry air. Try using a humidifier to add moisture to the air. Yuo can also comb the fur more frequently to remove the flakes and to stimulate the oil glands in the skin.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

terestrife

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Dandruff and flaky skin is common in the winter months becauseof the dry air. Try using a humidifier to add moisture to the air. Yuo can also comb the fur more frequently to remove the flakes and to stimulate the oil glands in the skin.
okay! i will try this. thanks!

I live in florida though. lol we dont get much of a winter. Mostly rain, some random chilly days, but its still hot overall.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Stress and a lack of grooming can also cause it or just make it more obvious.  Noodles is having an issue with all 3.  Combing her has helped a lot.  I do also run a humidifier in the house at times; I just need to put it back up after I cleaned it the other day.

spiffykitty

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I brush my cat, and every few months, I give her a bath with a gentle shampoo. She doesn't have much, if any, dandruff. I'd see it if she did, because she is black:)  I've noticed that chubby cats seem to get more dandruff, maybe because they can't lick parts of their body.

kingallyone

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello . We use to bath our first cat and she really loved it she was no bother getting put in and taken out of the bath . At the time we had two the other one hated it and would have scratched you to bits the not the first one very sadly we do not have her now we have very happy thoughts of her in the bath . Happy days to all .

sophie1

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Try adding fish oil to her food, or giving her an occasional sardine snack.  If you get capsules, be careful to avoid the ones with lemon flavoring.  Cats need omega 3s and these are typically not supplemented in commercial foods.  

And omega 3s are good for your hair & skin too, so you can take them along with your kitty.