Dandruff On Cat's Back

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My long haired cat has quite a lot of dandruff on the base of her back. I suspect it is where she cant reach to groom. The vet gave her a clean bill of health on monday and suggested daily brushing- which I already do and to put omega 3 oil on her food- which she wont eat.
Has anyone got any suggestions how I could clear it. Is there something I could massage onto her skin?

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If she can't reach it, I assume it's because she a bit "plump"? If so, loosing a few pounds will get it to stop. Also, if you find she sheds a lot, which is why you may feel the need to brush her daily, overweight cats do shed more than those of healthy weight.
I'm working on trying to get my "chubs" aka Chewie to lose a few, he has bad dandruff and sheds way too much, but in the mean time I have a product called "organic shea butter - skin repair and dander care" from the company "earthwhile enterprises inc." It comes in a spray that you just spray onto the skin and rub it in, then I brush, when it dries, his fur is much softer and it does help the dandruff (although not completely.....he's still too fat;)) website is www.sheapet.com

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
@jem.Thanks I will try that Shea butter, i have seen it locally. She is not overweight (9.5lb) but has very thick long fur. Perhaps she needs a longer tongue. I wondered if organic coconut oil would be any good?.
GoldyCat GoldyCat . she will definately go for the salmon oil. Thanks both of you.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. Not to be pessimistic, but it's possible nothing will actually clear the dander. Although your cat's dander is more or less isolated to a specific area, one of my previous cats - medium length hair - had dander down her entire back. The vet said some are more prone to dander than others - and said brush, brush, brush. And, I did, and she flaked, flaked, flaked.

My current cat has some dander, but nothing in comparison. But, if you do find something that does alleviate at least some of the dander, let us all know. Good information for me for the future and may help others in the meantime.

Good luck!

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hi FeebysOwner FeebysOwner . Glad I'm not alone. I have been brushing and Kiwi has been flaking just like yours. I have just ordered Nutrivet wild salmon oil to try. Should arrive mid week and once I have given it a good go I will let you know the result. Shame we cant use Head and Shoulders shampoo.

susanm9006

Lola
Top Cat
Purraise
My Willow has that issue for the first year or two after I adopted her. Then I tried eliminating grains from her diet and her dandruff cleared up. After another year or two I reintroduced them just to see what would happen and sure enough the dandruff came back. She has been grain free since.

lollie

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
You could try giving the Omega 3 by mouth. My cat wouldn’t touch it in her food either. Her dandruff was obvious as she’s black, and just brushing won’t clear it. I give her 7ml a couple of times a week. It cleared her dandruff almost overnight. I just swaddle her in a towel, and put it in the side of her mouth.

theyremine

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
When my Stellar had a bad case of dandruff due to the dryness in the house during the winter months, my vet gave me a vial of some sort of "conditioner" that I just squeezed it on her back, and it helped tremendously. Sorry, I don't remember the name of the med, but I could call my vet if you are interested in trying it.

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
When my Stellar had a bad case of dandruff due to the dryness in the house during the winter months, my vet gave me a vial of some sort of "conditioner" that I just squeezed it on her back, and it helped tremendously. Sorry, I don't remember the name of the med, but I could call my vet if you are interested in trying it.
That would be really helpful if yoy could get the name, thanks. Im willing to try anything. I have 2 other cats and they dont have dandruff just Kiwi.

theyremine

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Duoxo Spot On. I see other Duoxo products on line, but this came as little vials and I got it from my vet. Hope this helps.

GreyLady

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Rubbing coconut oil on my hands and then rubbing the effected area has worked for Greycat in the past. It's something that needs to be done once a week or so or his dandruff comes back. He's always had it in spats and the vet says not to worry about it but I try to help when it gets really bad.

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
theyremine theyremine . thanks for link. I will ask my vet about this.

GreyLady GreyLady . I bought coconut oil for this purpose but my vet said he didnt think it would work, just make a mess of the coat. I am going to give it a go as it cant do any harm.
Thanks both

GreyLady

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
theyremine theyremine . thanks for link. I will ask my vet about this.

GreyLady GreyLady . I bought coconut oil for this purpose but my vet said he didnt think it would work, just make a mess of the coat. I am going to give it a go as it cant do any harm.
Thanks both
I didnt use alot just a few drops on my hands and I basically just pet the area so the oil could moisten the dry skin. So not messy but his fur did look a bit greasy there for a day or two.

It was actually Sunflower oil I used. Same stuff I use on my hair from the dollar store :p Bu7t both are soothing oils.

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
FeebysOwner FeebysOwner .I have been using the salmon oil for several days now and whilst the dandruff has not gone completely I can definitely see a difference in Kiwi's coat which is black on her back so easy to see dandruff. I am using Inne salmon oil and the 100ml bottle should last at least 2 months as she only needs one squirt on her food a day . i got it from Zooplus and cost £3.59(under $5) .