Dander rubs?

jhoody

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have heard about the products you can buy, if someone is allergic to cats, that you rub over the cats fur. Has anyone tried these products, or have any other ideas on what I can use to help?

badhabit

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've heard of a spray that you spray on your cat that is supposed to help reduce the dander but I'm not sure if it works or not. They sell them at http://www.drsfostersmith.com

I guess it's worth a shot if you need them.

alicat613

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
There are a whole bunch at Petco or Petsmart, in the shampoo/grooming section. I've used it, but it's hard to say whether or not it really works. I'm not allergic to cats, but my boyfriend is mildly. I stopped using the dander wipe solution. No reason really. I bathe my cats, keep them groomed (using a brush and/or grooming mitts), vaccuum frequently and wash the bedding frequently. That seems to work fine.

cbruewer

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
If you try any of that allergy stuff, please let me know how it works. I went in for the whole allergy testing thing last week and found out I am allergic to cats. (I have 2 and they are not going anywhere no matter how sick I get!)

Anyway, let me know whether or not it works for you. Thanks!

valanhb

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Cbruewer: You may not have as many problems with your allergies and your cats. The body will develop an immunity to allergens that you are constantly around. I am allergic to everything under the sun, including cats, and I don't have a problem with my own cats. I have friends who are the same way. Depending on your Dr. I have found that Zyrtec is a fantastic allergy med (and according to the commercials works for "indoor" allergies, too) that doesn't have too many adverse reactions with other meds you may be taking. Claratin worked well for me as well, but Zyrtec was just a godsend!

cbruewer

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Well, I adopted Grace in August and started getting sick a lot shortly thereafter. I've started Allegra-D, whcih seems to work, but I sure know when it's about to wear off!! :tounge2:

Thanks for the info, though! I think if the Allegra stops working, I will try that spray you were talking about. It's good to know it's an option!

shortlid

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My father in law is alergic to cats. I am going to try some of this stuff to see if it can keep him more comfortable while he is here over the weekend.