Dander or Dandruff?

surille

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have a black cat so naturally it is very easy to see light color particles on him. 

How do you know the difference between cat dander and dandruff? What's the best way to reduce both? 

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Dander and dandruff on a cat are the same.

It's caused by dry skin, caused by a nutritional deficiency.

Feed higher quality grain free foods.

You will be pleasantly surprised at the results.

They also have pet wipes you can use to temporarily remove the dander.

Brushing is helpful too, because it stimulates the skin oils, but bottom line comes from the diet.

spiffykitty

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Dander is tinier than dandruff. You can easily see dandruff, but not dander. If there is just a little dandruff, you can use a slightly damp cloth to wipe your cat's fur. A grooming session will help, with a bath, drying and deshedding. I bathe my short-haired black cat about once a month. I rarely see dandruff. 

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

surille

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I would love to give Diesel a bath however he's already a big scaredy cat, always hiding in cupboards :p He's a pretty big boy, 12 lbs so I think a sink shower is out of the question, it'd have to be in the bathtub. How do I successfully hold him down for a shower? 

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
A friend of mine has a black show cat who gets dandruff from stress. She wipes him down with a cloth dampened in Listerine just before taking him into a ring. It works really well, but it's a temporary solution and I wouldn't want to do it too often because I think it probably dries out the fur.

pangurban

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
When we first brought JC ( black dsh) home he was very stressed from the shelter and then being in a new home. He had a lot of very visible dander. Luckily he loves to be brushed so between that, a couple waterless shampoo treatments, and settling into his new home, the issue resolved itself.

Last edited: