Daily vitamin

bmw kitty cat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Can anyone recommend a good daily vitamin for a cat whose immune system is on the weak side?

Thanks

ducman69

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would recommend none.

Supplements are designed to correct deficiencies, and cats consuming a varied healthy diet have all the vitamins and minerals they need in controlled amounts.

Adding to this can do more harm from good over time from what I have read, especially in the case of fat soluble vitamins. Supplement manufacturers will advice you otherwise, but they are trying to move a product.

So I would not supplement without veterinary advice.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

bmw kitty cat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thanks! How about for skin allergies? I have a cat who keeps scratching his neck to the point he has scabs. He definitely does not have fleas.

ducman69

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by BMW Kitty Cat

Thanks! How about for skin allergies? I have a cat who keeps scratching his neck to the point he has scabs. He definitely does not have fleas.
Is it seasonal? If so, a good quality air filter and regular dusting/vacuuming are a big help (including their trees/beds). Unlike humans that usually show respiratory symptoms, cats and dogs show it first on their skin as itching. Just different ways that the immune systems react.

If its not, then I've heard thats most often actually a food allergy, which could be any ingredient from the more common ones like corn, soy, wheat to even chicken. That can also include organic litters, such as World's Best if your cat is allergic to corn. Cats that were not allergic to a food before can develop one over time.

If its to the point of breaking the skin, I'd look for professional advice in person.

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There is one I actually recommend: Transfer Factor - it is not a vitamin, it is an immune-modulator. You can find plenty of information here: http://www.shirleys-wellness-cafe.com/tf/s/pets.htm
For Allergies, the one I would recommend, is the human Transfer Factor Classic. If you want to strengthen the immune system, then you want the "Plus".
It is really great stuff IMHO for humans and pets alike.

just mike

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by BMW Kitty Cat

As for vitamins; I've never used them and would never use them unless my vet advised me to. Usually vitamins are used to supplement a deficiency of some sort. If you're feeding the cat a balanced diet, a vitamin will probably not be necessary. Skin allergies can be caused by many things. One of the worst cases I've ever seen was a cat that had a flea collar on. Other causes can be the ingredients in the food you are feeding, ie; wheat, soy and some of the proteins can cause skin allergies. Chicken is the most common I have seen. I could be caused from litter and even sometimes bedding. If the problem persists and get worse, see your vet. You don't want to get an infection.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

bmw kitty cat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I was thinking about giving one of my cats vitamins because he has a weak immune system, has a mild case of stomatitis and well now he's itching all the time. I've noticed scabs on his neck and hind legs. I dont know why. I moved this past weekend so maybe he is under stress. But thinking about it he was itchy in my previous home too. I feel terrible for him.
I must make some time to take him to the vet but my schedule is super tight right now since its tax season. Can i give him anything to soothe the itch?