Daily Question: Tues. Nov. 17

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Kansas City sits in the middle of the country, and we're at the mercy of storm fronts coming from the north, west and south.

The north storms will cause us to get frigid cold - our record low is -24F (-31C). With that we may get a little snow, if a front from the south leaves moisture behind.

The south storms will cause snow and ice. When you hear about the bad ice storms across the middle part of this country, think of me. We were out of power for 5 days one year after an ice storm, and there were folks around here that were out for a month. But they can also bring in warmer temps, and it's not unknown to be in the 60F's (15C-20C) in the winter.

The western storms are unpredictable, depending on whether there is a complimentary northern (cold) or southern (warm and wet) front hanging around.

In the odd time when we get a storm from the east, there's a tornado around. Yes, there was a tornado in this area last winter.

The first big snow that I recall happened in October, and we just had our first brush of snow last night. That is unusual. We usually get really cold in late December, and start to warm up for the spring in early March.

lisar

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by tierre0

Yes Rigel you and your wife should plan a trip to a snowy climate some year just to get an idea of what it's like. Most people who have never experience a cold climate do find it interesting however they seem to feel the cold much more deeply then those who are born to it.

And I agree with Chris about this past year being extremely weird, infact the last several years. I hate to do one of those when I was a kid speeches but it really does apply to this subject.

When I was a kid winter seemed a lot different. Much colder during Jan and Feb. Lot's more snow then what we get now, and usually we had snow on the ground by Dec and it stayed into April.
I'm a Texan born and raised. My family moved to Chicago when I was 18. I got a cold in the middle of July!
I would say my body got used to the cold after about 4 years of living in Chicago. The winter there is cold, windy and just terrible. The really nasty weather starts about a week or two before Christmas in Chicago.
I also hate snow, period. My first introduction to it was a foot overnight. It was interesting to me for about 2 minutes and then I feel in it so that kind of got ruined. With this said I do absolutely adore the City of Chicago. It is an awesome place to live especially in the spring/summer/fall when the weather isn't completely terrible.

I live in south Texas now, moved back down here recently to go to school here. Winter down here consists of 70 degree weather when the sun is out 30-40 when the sun is down. It might drop down into the 50s in January and of course into the 20's when the sun is down. It is rare for the temperature to stay under the water freezing mark.

northernglow

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm propably on of this site's top 10 most northern locations.
I live in southern Finland (hence the username).
We had little bit snow here around halloween but it melted away. Since that it has snowed few times again just to melt again during the next days. Now it's getting a bit warmer and just raining water. +5 outside at the moment (that's 41 fahrenheits). The winters aren't like they used to be when I was a kid. Back then we had loads of snow from Oct. to March and -20 celsius (-4F) was normal. Now we barely have few random weeks of snow, the rest of winter is just dark, wet, icy and cold. Ugh.
Maybe I should move to the north..but then I would be whining about the snow and coldness..

junebugbear07

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Here in Central California it will usually be foggy a lot and freezing! Nights here are like 20s-30s depending, and during the day it will be like in the 40s-50s but we havent gotten that cold yet, it was 60 I think today and will get to the 40s tonight. Its not normal for it to be so warm. It snowed once when I was a kid, not a whole lot, just enough to have a snow ball fight

wellingtoncats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Winter here is about 0-10 degrees - rarely going below 0 Celsius unless it's late night/early morning. We had a couple of snow showers this past winter but never enough to settle. It's pretty pleasant in Wellington (IMO). Except the wind of course in Winter!

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Winter is June, July, August. Average temp is 16c/61f. No snow and very little rain.