Daily Question: Thurs. Oct. 21

mbjerkness

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I started my first real job on my 15th birthday. My Dad owned a small grocery store. I worked 32 hours a week, babysat and volunteered as a candy striper at the hospital. My parents beleived if they kept me busy there would be no time to get in trouble. I worked at my Dad's store until he died when I was 17. The new owner wanted me to stay on, but I had a hard time after my dad died.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

snake_lady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by kara_leigh

We're meanie parents also! LOL Greyson has been informed that he will not be given a cell phone until he can drive ALONE, which means at least 16. He hates it b/c he sees his cousins who are the same age that have cell phones, as do a bunch of his friends. Oh well. We also won't let him have a facebook acct until he's 13, which is the required age. We're big bullies. HAHA
Hijacked my own QOTD: us too, Kendra didn't have FB till a year ago or so.

Cellphones, she's 14, and I've said anytime that she can pay the bill ( we're going with a contract phone, rather than a no contract pay as u go ) we'll cosign. NO WAY will I pay for her cell. Nessecities yes, cellphones are not nessecary IMO. Not to mention the responsibility level. I've seen 10yr olds and under with their own cellphones.

This is my way of teaching her responsibility

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Congrats to Ken!

My first paying job was helping neighbors weed and mow their lawns, I was 6. I continued doing that, but added doing their laundry and ironing their shirts around 7 or 8 (I'd do it at their homes).

I started babysitting at 10.

It is? was, anyway, legal to work at 14, so the minute I turned 14 I got my first paycheck job at a bakery. It was like a 45 minute bike ride, so when a job opened up at the local 7-11 type store that was just a couple minutes from school, I grabbed that. I must have been 15 when I was opening the store myself... is that crazy or what?

By Junior in high school you could choose this program where all the classes were condensed with no free periods and no lunch, so you were out early to work. I got a job as a receptionist at Encylopedia Britannica's film rental department (yes, this was before there were VHS's even LOL). It was the COOLEST job ever, because they'd let us take the projectors and films for the weekend, so friends and I got to watch movies (regular box office stuff). They were also always getting passes to movies before they were officially released - it was a blast!

tara g

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
First unofficial job: 10 at my dad's shop, was there 7 years answering the phone during the summers and working on cars doing easy stuff and learning.

First official job: 16 at ShopRite, part time after school and weekends. Cashier and learned to stock, cross trained in the deli and produce. I was there for 1 year 11 months, then we moved to NC.

First official full time job: 18, data entry for medical billing. Worked 7-4 M-Thurs, 7-1 Friday, it was a decent job, but got annoying. The women there were mad that I was young enough to be their daughters and crabbed about it all the time
. Lasted there 6 months before I got the job I have now, which I've had for 4+ years.