Daily Eye Gunk

mudstainedcarpets

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I recently adopted a beautiful 3 y/o white cat at the shelter. I noticed she gets dark eye gunk on her eyes everyday. I asked the vet about this and was told its nothing to be concern about. She doesn't love it when I try to wipe it off, and my friends cats don't seem to have the same problem. Could it be her diet? I'm feeding her fancy feast classic poultry and beef dishes.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Some cats just get gunk in the corner of their eyes. It's just dried mucus and dirt, like the crusty stuff you find in the corners of your eyes when waking up in the morning.

Daisy6

A cat's best friend
Super Cat
Purraise
Welcome to TCS. Thank you for posting. Your cat is cute. What is her name?

Conjuctivitis causes brown cruds on the eyelids, not down there. It is normal for a cat to have dirt in that location.

catlover73

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My 8 year old buff colored tabby gets eye gunk like in your picture. He was adopted via a private rescue run by a friend. His previous owners returned him to her when they got a divorce. She had him vet checked when she took him back right before I adopted him because she noticed it too. She has an excellent vet and was told that it was just dust and debris. There was no infection. Sonny also hates it when I clean his eyes too. I have had him since 2010 and clean his eyes daily too. His former foster mommy is also my cat sitter so she cleans his eyes when we are away.

tinydestroyer

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Did your vet test or check for an eye infection? If so, there's probably nothing to worry about (as they said.) Eye infections are nothing to let go away on its own, but can be treated with antibiotics generally. My Lucy was given terramycin ointment when we rescued her and her eyes had a lot of green mucus.
My other cat has half white / half black face markings, and I notice that the white side definitely gets more gunk there (or, at least, I see it more against the white fur.) This isn't green or yellow, but more brown and dried up like your cat's. I had the same concern as you, but my vet said as long as there is no infection (there wasn't,) I shouldn't worry. She did mention that it could be allergies, or just normal eye discharge, and to come back if his eyes look red or inflamed, or he has the sniffles.
If you're still concerned your cat might have an infection, take him in to the vet. If the vet cleared him for infection, maybe it's normal or even just more visible on white cats? Keep a watch for any changes, and maybe see if it goes away with different food ingredients?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mudstainedcarpets

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Welcome to TCS. Thank you for posting. Your cat is cute. What is her name?

Conjuctivitis causes brown cruds on the eyelids, not down there. It is normal for a cat to have dirt in that location.
Her name is Cleo!

mudstainedcarpets

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My 8 year old buff colored tabby gets eye gunk like in your picture. He was adopted via a private rescue run by a friend. His previous owners returned him to her when they got a divorce. She had him vet checked when she took him back right before I adopted him because she noticed it too. She has an excellent vet and was told that it was just dust and debris. There was no infection. Sonny also hates it when I clean his eyes too. I have had him since 2010 and clean his eyes daily too. His former foster mommy is also my cat sitter so she cleans his eyes when we are away.
I found a way to get the boogers out! All I do is give her a real good petting session and slowly make my way towards her eyes

mudstainedcarpets

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Did your vet test or check for an eye infection? If so, there's probably nothing to worry about (as they said.) Eye infections are nothing to let go away on its own, but can be treated with antibiotics generally. My Lucy was given terramycin ointment when we rescued her and her eyes had a lot of green mucus.
My other cat has half white / half black face markings, and I notice that the white side definitely gets more gunk there (or, at least, I see it more against the white fur.) This isn't green or yellow, but more brown and dried up like your cat's. I had the same concern as you, but my vet said as long as there is no infection (there wasn't,) I shouldn't worry. She did mention that it could be allergies, or just normal eye discharge, and to come back if his eyes look red or inflamed, or he has the sniffles.
If you're still concerned your cat might have an infection, take him in to the vet. If the vet cleared him for infection, maybe it's normal or even just more visible on white cats? Keep a watch for any changes, and maybe see if it goes away with different food ingredients?
I think she was a little bit sick from the shelter. she still has a bit of gunk here and there, but it wasn’t as bad as when I just got her. I also think she had a runny nose too. I hadn’t noticed because she’s my first cat and I thought all noses were a bit wet. She’s doing A-ok now but I’m considering switching vets since it completely flew over the head of the one I brought her to