Cystitus

FloridaTony

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
13 year old male cat. Recently DX with Idiopathic Cystitus. He is on 5mg Amityriptiline every other day. Works good but has issues when under stress. Thoughts?

Maurey

Maine Coon Madness
Top Cat
Purraise
What kind of diet is he on? Did he have crystals at any point? Have you assessed possible triggers with a feline behaviourist or your vet, in terms of what can be done to minimise stressors and stress response?
My friend’s younger cat (around 5 y.o) is in remission from the condition after transitioning to raw from veterinary dry and minimising stress. He’ll have a flare up maybe a couple times a year if he had really bad stress that was impossible to mitigate, but it gets handled easily with a single dose of metacam (which was prescribed to them specifically for the flare ups).

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

FloridaTony

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
What kind of diet is he on? Did he have crystals at any point? Have you assessed possible triggers with a feline behaviourist or your vet, in terms of what can be done to minimise stressors and stress response?
My friend’s younger cat (around 5 y.o) is in remission from the condition after transitioning to raw from veterinary dry and minimising stress. He’ll have a flare up maybe a couple times a year if he had really bad stress that was impossible to mitigate, but it gets handled easily with a single dose of metacam (which was prescribed to them specifically for the flare ups).
He has always been a very nervous cat and has lived 13 years in a four multi cat home.
The Amitriptyline does wonders as just 1/2 tab every other day...so happy with what I see since OCT 2020...just wondering what other folks do. But my other boy is now with colon issues and on Cisapride with Lactulose...so with all the stress going on then BRANDON the cystitus cat gets outbreaks of course.