Cylavance [Atopica]

cookmandy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi, My cat is on the last resort treatment for atopic dermatitus we had previously gone through every other pathway. She is currently on cyclavance every 2 days. We can't get passed this dosage as soon as we try for every 3 days her licking become unbearable and sore's start opening again. It was hoped we could get to 'least' use of twice a week dosage. My problem is she is still licking an awful lot and had been throwing up massive furballs. She is now on better food [fur ball diet] and mostly a wet variety and this seems to now be helping with that. But still, the day after each dose which is literally every other day she is being sick at least twice in a day if not more. So we are in an every other day dosage of cyclavance and an every other day of vomiting. She seems to be eating well but is losing weight. I guess my question is are we at an end here when we need to take her off it as it seems to be doing more harm than good and if so is the only options left a steroid injection every few weeks. I know that will eventually cause her demise but cyclavance does not seem to be working. We have been trying this now for a good nine months going one step forward and two back. Any advice is much appreciated thank you

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Iknow vomiting is a side effect, but one that normally goes away after a few weeks. With your little one, that doesn't seem to be the case since it's now been nine months. Is she vomiting hairball related, or true vomiting, or a mixture? What does your Vet say about it? Have they ever prescribed anti-nausea pills to give along with the Atopica to try to prevent the problem?

My opinion is that quality of life outways quantity of life, so if going the way of the steroid injections might eventually be determental, in the meantime it might give her huge relief. I'd go for living a shorter life without constant itching. Just my opinion. It's what I'd want for myself.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

cookmandy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks for the reply. The furballs were an obvious effect of all the extra licking but now that seems to be getting better she's still being proper sick. She did have an ant sick injection a coupe of months ago but nothing like a anti sickness pill that has been mentioned. I'm definitely quality over time, she is 12 now.