Cutting a feral's nails?

hersheys mom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My feral is now at the stage where she wants to grab my fingers and lick them, or grab my hand and hold onto it. I really want to encourage her physical contact as she does not do well with being petted. She will let me touch her paws and pet them without biting now, but if I try and put her paw between my fingers, the teeth come out. I called her vet and they had no other suggestion except to gas her and cut them while she was asleep, but then I would have to put her in a carrier (drugged) and transport her. She has a dead fear of being caged. Since she escaped from a questionable breeder that is easy enough to understand. So, since neither her vet nor I want to traumatize her, they suggested I try giving her some Xanax and cutting her nails myself. Does anyone have any experience trimming a feral cat's nails? I am more than willing to try this, but if there is a way to do it that is more comfortable for the cat, I'd like to give that a try.

Lei-Ann, mom to a feral and a bully Tortie DSH

catnamedpanda

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It will take much longer but try trimming her nails whenever she is sleeping. If she wakes up stop and wait for another opportunity. I had a cat who was not feral, but you pulled our the nail clippers and she was suddenly a very angry aggressive cat. Cutting hers slowly while she slept was the only way.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I can't imagine how you'd manage it. I suppose you could throw a towel over her, wrap her up, and trim them that way, but that would probably require a helper, and could very well set back her trust in you considerably.

I have a feral who is doing that now. I found that if I don't pull away I don't get scratched. The claws hurt a bit but if I keep my hand limp until she lets go it doesn't break the skin.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

hersheys mom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I can't imagine how you'd manage it. I suppose you could throw a towel over her, wrap her up, and trim them that way, but that would probably require a helper, and could very well set back her trust in you considerably.

I have a feral who is doing that now. I found that if I don't pull away I don't get scratched. The claws hurt a bit but if I keep my hand limp until she lets go it doesn't break the skin.
I agree, the towel method would not be advisable. She is just now at the point where she stopped biting me and started trusting me more. The problem is, all she has to do is touch my finger and her nail penetrates my skin. They are tiny Xacto blades. I might just try your idea of clipping while she is asleep, although she is a light sleeper due to the Terror Tortie sneaking up on her to harass her. Better than doping her up.

Thanks,

Lei Ann

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

hersheys mom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Sorry, the sleeping idea was posted by a Cat Named Panda.