CutenessWarning!!! Kittens are 6 weeks old!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

momto4kitties

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you all so much!! No Christalligator, not all orange cats are male, the Penny and kate are two girly girls

I'm starting to wokr on finding new homes for these babies an I know I will suffer terribly when they are gone, I'm just too attached to thenm
I don't think I was born to be a rescuer, I was born to be a keeper, hehe..

zoeysmom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Momto4kitties

Thank you all so much!! No Christalligator, not all orange cats are male, the Penny and kate are two girly girls
And I've had 3 orange girls!

It's just more common for orange (they are acutally called red...some are just more dilute than others) cats to be boys because of the genetics of it. i have a very basic understanding of it, like this:

The gene for red colour is held on the X-chromosome. Males are XY, which means if they get the dominant allele for red from their mom, they will be red (because there is no other "choice"). However, females are XX - so, if they get a dominent red allele from one of their parents, but a different allele from their other parent, they will show red and the other colour (ie. black, brown)...which is how calicos and torties come about. In order for a female to show red, they need to receive the dominant red allele from BOTH their parents.

Basically, in order to get orange kittens at all, mom has to be either red or calico/tortie. If I understand correctly, a red mom would only have red boys (no matter what they breed with), but could have calico/tortie girls. A calico/tortie mom could have red kittens, but could also have black, calico, tortie kittens (depends on whether they pass on the orange allele, or the other colour they show). For red males, it wouldn't matter what colour the father was. For red female kittens, the father has to be orange. So, the reason male red cats are more common is because in order to girls, you need a more specific combination of parental colours (red/red or red/calico). Red males can result from breeding a red or calico mom with any colour male.

Oh, and white is a totally different issue, that I'm not sure I completely understand. Basically, if a cat has the "white gene", the white basically just covers up whatever colour they are supposed to be.

Sorry for the hijack....I need SOMETHING to take my mind off the incredible cuteness of those kittens. It is a good thing you live very far away!

iheartstrays

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
OMG!!!! I'm such a sucker for orange cats! I love them! SO CUTE!!!

Just a quick note on bathing; be sure to keep them very, very dry and warm after a bath. Kittens can easily become hypothermic after a bath and have a compromised immune system because of it. My vet recommends not bathing cats under 6 months old unless you feel you ABSOLUTELY have to, and then only under the above circumstances.

What a bunch of adorable babies!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

momto4kitties

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you all! Ys, I was so scared about giving them a bath, but I had to because they had fleas, the poor babies! I think mommy cat had them, since she was living on the streets. They are all flea-free now. Thanks so much for the advice

c1atsite

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by iheartstrays

My vet recommends not bathing cats under 6 months old unless you feel you ABSOLUTELY have to, and then only under the above circumstances.
thanks. good to know. (although my cats are grown ups now) i "bathed" Daisy when she was about 11 weeks old i believe. I can't remember. it was a water-only bath and just for a few minutes. that was her first bath. the last bath was 2 weeks ago, and it was similar to the 1st time. water-only and just for a few minutes. i figure mine are indoor cats so they don't need to be shampooed. am i wrong/wasting my time? (well, time isn't much of an issue since the whole thing here gets done relatively quickly)

catkiki

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Christalligator

OMG They are sooooo cute, but just out of plan curiousity, arent all orange cats male?
My Rusty is orange and female. But she sure ACTS like a male. She was part of a litter of 4. Three of which were female and one male. The male was orange also. She had another orange sister and my Dusty, who is a tortie/tabbie. Their mama was a tortie.

But those babies are adorable!!!! And I also would wait until they are 12 weeks old. I got my 2 at 7 wks and they had some minor behavior problems. Those problems are all gone now. They will be 2 on Dec 1