cut my cat with scissors - I feel as bad!

abnihon

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Georgia has horrible knots and mats in her long fur and we use a combo of brushing and cutting to get them out. Tonight I accidently cut her skin with I was getting one out! There's a little opening in the skin, almost like the top layer (with the fur) is lifted a bit. I dabbed it with with hydrogen peroxide and and there tiny spots of blood on the tissue but its not actively bleeding. Just looks white/reddish under the skin.
I feel so bad - I started crying!
Has this happened to anyone else?
Do you think she needs to go to the vet for stitches or glue?
Will it heal on its own?
I never want to use scissors on her mats again! It always made me nervous and this is why!

gloriajh

FERAl born “Pepper”
Top Cat
Purraise
If it were me --- I'd say yes, take her for medical help - I understand that their skin tears.

I, too, have a cat that won't let me groom his long hair and every place I've researched warns against trying to cut it with anything.

http://www.kittygroomer.com/tips.html
.. For long-haired cats, use an open-ended comb, and bring the hair against the grain and hold the hair up as you brush and comb the hair underneath. Do this layer by layer. Look for any lumps, abscess or sores. If you see any, stop what you are doing and take your kitty to the veterinarian.

If the skin seems healthy, but there are tangles, try separating the hair gently with your fingers and comb. Be very careful... or you could rip the skin off along with the hair. Never use scissors to cut out the knots. The cat's skin is so paper thin and so very elastic that it makes it too risky sometimes even for a professional to use scissors. Even when a professional does use them, round-ended scissors are required... and it's still best to just use scissors for trimming, never for taking out mats! When you pull up the knot, the skin will stretch and lift off. I have seen several people use scissors, cut the skin and make a big hole. Their cat had to go at the veterinarian. It's important to spread and stretch the skin as you work, in order to not cause serious injury. Often, it's best to have a professional cat groomer clip the knots out. ...
I just took mine to be under anesthesia to get shaved. I told them to leave his mane, legs, and tail - to give him a sanitary shave.

I absolutely didn't want to put him through this type of grooming, but had no choice.

Here's a pic of him now:

This is a pic of him before - you can't see all the mats because they were mostly on his back, and forming under his arms and legs.

Gray is too heavy and unable to really groom himself - something we're working on without too much success as he is with the other 3 members of his family and he's the King.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

abnihon

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I took her in to the 24 hr animal hospital. She got 3 stitches and some painkillers. Poor Georgia....
They said it didn't go through all the layers of skin, but enough that it needed stitches.
In the future she may need a serious shave for these mats.
Is this best done at home with an electric shaver, at a groomer or at a vet?

nekochan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you're not experienced with using a clipper on cats I would have a vet or groomer do it. Definitely do not use scissors, as you found out it is very easy to accidentally cut them.

auntie crazy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by abnihon

I took her in to the 24 hr animal hospital. She got 3 stitches and some painkillers. Poor Georgia....
They said it didn't go through all the layers of skin, but enough that it needed stitches.
Good on you for bringing your furbaby in, Abnihon! Try not to feel guilty - there's not a one of us that hasn't made a mistake with our kitties.

Although cats usually don't like car rides and/or groomers, if your kitty NEEDS a shave, I would think your best bet is to take her to a kitty salon and have them show you what they're doing while they're doing it. If it's something you're comfortable learning and then doing, well, then, you can take care of it in your own home. If not, however, she's likely to only need it once or twice a year, right? So taking her to the groomer can become an annual trip, just like seeing the vet.

Good luck to you both!

AC

gardenandcats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have two Persians and no matter how well I brush they still tend to get some mats underneath them. I use a small seam ripper to tease the mats apart and you can't cut the cats with those.

gloriajh

FERAl born “Pepper”
Top Cat
Purraise
I saw a youtube video that shows how to shave a cat.

There's no way that I would even think about doing it myself.

I've been watching Gray's fur grow out, and his fur has tiny kinks in it - like really small wavy fur - no wonder it mats so easily!

My groomer told me to bring him in as soon as the mats begin to form and she'll comb them out for me - a $15.00 charge. This is the plan I'm going to follow as I don't want to have to have an annual GA Groom (general anesthesia) every year. The groomer was so great with him that he was practically sleeping in his carrier when I dropped him off for the GA Groom - and he didn't get stressed out enough to develop a cold - so I trust her to be able to comb him even if I can't.

gloriajh

FERAl born “Pepper”
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by abnihon

Good for you - and - Georgia!

I bet the medical costs were more than it would have been to take her to a groomer?

I'm so glad that the cut didn't go through all the skin layers. Hope the pain meds did the job.