Cut Above my Cats Head, is it bad?!!

LuluTheCaf

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Good Afternoon Everyone,
So my cat Lulu has a pretty big cut above her head (most likely accidentally scratching herself from allergies). What should I do and should I go to the vet? This is my first time owning a cat so I want to make sure that she gets the right care and the wound doesn’t get infected. This is the first time that I’ve seen her do this.

Attachments

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi! Welcome!
Do you have a relationship with a vet? Would you be able to send in the photo and ask them if they feel like she would need to come in?

How long has she been scratching? Have you tried changing her food, from kibble to canned?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

LuluTheCaf

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi! Welcome!
Do you have a relationship with a vet? Would you be able to send in the photo and ask them if they feel like she would need to come in?

How long has she been scratching? Have you tried changing her food, from kibble to canned?
i don’t have a relationship with a vet, I got my cat 1 month ago from a different owner. She eats hydrolyzed food for her allergies (the royal canine brand)

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
I'm glad you joined the site and came here for advice. This looks like more than just a scratch from your photo. I would be concerned about the wound becoming more infected and for that reason would suggest consulting a vet sooner rather than later. She will possibly need a topical antibiotic too. Since you don't have a vet you may want to ask friends, relatives or co-workers for a recommendation. If you have a feline only vet within a reasonable distance that would be ideal. Best of luck, please keep us posted on Lulu's progress. :crossfingers:

NekoM

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
You’ve used clippers to cut the fur around it, did you clean the wound after? It’s too isolated and uniform to be self inflicted, it’s either an Ulcer or some form of trauma. The wound is bad, it’s past the epidermis maybe as far down as the subcutaneous layer. It’s infected and it’s going to get worse. Clean it with salt water and try and get it to scab up.

Last edited: