Currently Dying 19 Year Old Male Tabby Cat

Status
Not open for further replies.

catdandoo

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi All,

Any suggestions as to what I can do to make my poor cat comfortable before he expires. I doubt he'll make it to this evening. Pretty sure he has kidney failure. There is an awful necrotic smell from his mouth. Cancer? Started a day or two ago and he would often change resting locations. Now he is in one spot. I think there is blood in his urine....this morning there was dark colored wet spots on the rug. He cries when he moves but seems to manage to get into a positions where he is at rest. Vet not an option and not sure if the trauma of a car ride is good. What can a vet do anyway but put him down, and present an exorbitant bill. We take care of a few stray cats in the city and can't afford it, simply. Not too many sincere vets around here anyway. At the top of this screen is "Ask a Vet Online Now"...shame on them!!! Right off the bat they wanted my credit card. This forum shouldn't foster such ads!
He was born in this house and will pass away in this house, we just want to make it as best for him as possible. I sit with him and pet & talk to him. I attached a photo taken last evening.
P5114218.JPG

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Are there any visiting vets that you can have come to your house? There are those willing to come to your home which would reduce the stress on him. But if he has any chance of making it much longer he does need vet care, at the very least he sounds like he is in pain so you might be able to get some pain medication to help him feel better.

From appearances and description, he is outside the realm of any in home care at this point. I really hate to say it and I am so sorry. The most you may be able to do is offer a high calorie food watered down or human meat baby food (no spices, just water and meat puree) to get some liquids and calories into him.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
I am extremely sorry for what your cat and you are going through. :hugs: This breaks my heart and you have my sincere sympathies. Although I have no advice I do have compassion for his journey tonight. Our thoughts and prayers are with you. :grouphug:

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise
Saying goodbye is always painful for us but if you can keep your cat comfortable and feeling safe with you then that will be wonderful for him. Like others have said, soft blankets and any liquid or high calorie food you can get him to take - perhaps licking a little from your fingers which is what I did with one of my 'girls' a few years back.

For comfort in the last few hours I had Snowleopard at home I had lots of soft things on the floor so she could choose her warm, comfy places, and covered any soft furnishing she was on with a waterproof backed blanket because she wasn't able to use her litter. She wanted to be carried around a lot too so I would carry her around or lay her on my lap swaddled in a soft towel. Most of all she wanted me to stroke and reassure her she wasn't alone but each cat is different.

With regard to the advertising /headings people see when they are on site, most of the things you see appear in response to what ever content you have been looking at or typing in on line - they are not set up by the web site but by your browsing history and words contained in what you type. I am sorry that you found the vet call heading distressing.

Thinking of you and hope you can keep him calm and comfortable despite how you must be feeling at this time. :vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes:

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Can't you take him to the local shelter or humane society and ask them to help him pass? He's not going to get stressed out by a car journey at this stage and they won't charge as much as a regular vet.

He could hang on in that condition for hours. He must be suffering. Please, try to make it a little easier for him.

I know you are suffering too, but you'll feel a lot better in the future knowing you helped him pass as painlessly as possible.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

catdandoo

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
11-7-11a.jpg
Pic_driftW (1).jpg
Easter (2).JPG
Iris09 010.jpg

His name was Pickle and he finally passed between 4:30 & 6am this morning. He really started to smell awful toward the end and passed some bloody urine. I was next to him for hours...got too tired. He managed to move to the other side of the room where we found him. Was just last Wednesday he was fine this happened all at once over two days. I think he was comfortable for the most part. Here are some photos when he was in his hey day. Hope his niece (left in avatar) will get over him missing, they were best buddys.
Thanks to all who offered their concern & fine suggestions! I know I have trust issues with vets.

Last edited by a moderator:

Draco

NOT Malfoy!
Veteran
Purraise
I am so sorry you had to go through this.

He went in his home as you had wished for, and I am sure he's grateful you were with him the entire way.

Out of respect, we lock threads when one has passed on. Do feel free to post in the Crossing the Bridge section when you are ready.

Status
Not open for further replies.