Curious why my cat will touch me with his paw

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Sophie does this to me also. She strokes my cheek with her paw sometimes in the morning. I think it's partly affection and partly as a get me my breakfast wake up call.

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
Artie curls up on my lap every night and 'holds hands' with me...He has to put his paw in my hand or touching my hand. We can spend a long time paw in hand....

In bed, he just has to be cuddled up so close to me that he is practically on top of me. His back is usually curled up against the sides of my legs or the back of my knees..almost like reverse 'spooning'...He is so nice and warm on these extra cold days.

In the morning, Artie wakes me up, by coming directly up to my face and ear and says "Meow", then takes his paw and tries to pull my covers down!

Every once in a while he sits on the top of my chair and 'taps' my shoulder for attention......

such a sweetie....

losna

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Sinbad does this to me all the time. It's very sweet. He's especially fond of resting a paw on me while he's grooming. He'll often not want to be petted or snuggle or anything, but just a little paw in my hand while he sleeps.

blackangel

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
This is so cute.

The first day I brought Frost home for some reason he smacked me between the legs with his paw. :lol3: I REALLY don't know what was up with that! It was too funny.

This little guy is such a character. :vibes::lol3:

raysmyheart

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think it's so sweet when the cats gently touch us with their paws.  I think they are saying, "Hello, I just want to tell you I love you!"

kwajcat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
"My cat extends her right paw to me, very gently"   That is what I googled tonight, and found this site and your question.  Glad to have found it !  In reading the replies, it is good to know that it is a strong sign of affection.  That is how I perceive it....anyway.   She does it frequently now .... 

raysmyheart

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I definitely think it is a sign of affection and communication!  

That is neat how I saw your post @kwajcat  , because just this morning when I was waking up, my Speedy was touching my face very gentle.   This is the best way I could start the day!  

I noticed you are new at TCS and want to say WELCOME!!! 
  I look forward to seeing you in the forums!  and hearing about your cat.  All the best from Marianne and Speedy!!  My cat is a siamese mix girl, who was a rescue.  She is very mild-mannered and I love her!  

zed xyzed

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Midi will do that too, recently he started out to use his paw very gently reach out  and pull my face towards him and then proceeds to kiss / clean my cheek. When he wants to give me kisses he will  reach out and gently touch my face. 

raysmyheart

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Midi will do that too, recently he started out to use his paw very gently reach out  and pull my face towards him and then proceeds to kiss / clean my cheek. When he wants to give me kisses he will  reach out and gently touch my face. 
I love this!  He sounds like a sweetheart!

kittens mom

Kittens life was lost to a negligent veterinarian.
Top Cat
Purraise
Six month old Mercy will reach up and put a paw on each cheek. At night she will reach out with a paw to touch me as if asking permission to sleep . mostly on my face.  It is obviously a sign of affection.

raysmyheart

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Six month old Mercy will reach up and put a paw on each cheek. At night she will reach out with a paw to touch me as if asking permission to sleep . mostly on my face.  It is obviously a sign of affection.
This is great!  It shows how awesome cats are.  Always notice how they never put out their claws when doing this!  They are so gentle.  Your girl sounds so sweet!

kittens mom

Kittens life was lost to a negligent veterinarian.
Top Cat
Purraise

This is great!  It shows how awesome cats are.  Always notice how they never put out their claws when doing this!  They are so gentle.  Your girl sounds so sweet!
She makes eye contact and verbalizes while doing this. She's also a blinker backer. Often she is the first to blink. Of course right now she's hanging upside down on the cat scratcher. Morning Mook and Mercy play together time.

kwajcat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello Raysmyheart ! Thank you !  I discovered this site googling that very question a couple of weeks ago ... (paw reaching out) .... As I learn more how to navigate on this site, I will post more....at least a picture or two :)  This site REALLY helped me this past weekend ....  

kayzee49

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yes! Jekyll and Hyde do this too! They stretch out and just tap me on the face. Unless it's actually night time, they have to be touching me for their catnaps. They're very, very close brothers, possible littermates so they usually have to be touching each other somehow as well..

detroitcatlady

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My cats love to show affection by touching me when their paws. They each have their own "way". Shadow likes to reach her paws out like she is giving me a hug and then she starts kneading . Pumpkin likes to reach out his paws and touch me, either to show affection or greet me when he sees me. Treasure likes to sit in my lap and put her paw on top of my arm or hand, like she is holding it.