Cuddle before and while eating? Anyone else?

withoutaname

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I don't know if this is normal or not, but I've always wondered why my cat wants us to pet him and cuddle with him before he eats. If I'm in the living room, he lets me pet him, then walks a couple of steps, waits for me, and then does this again, until we have reached his bowl.

In the mornings he also takes breaks from eating and rubs himself against me and then goes back to eating. When he was younger, he did this for each meal, but now it's mostly the need to cuddle before eating.

He also eats more when we're at home or near him. When I wake up, or come home from school, I always see that he has barely eaten (if no one else is there), but for the rest of the day he eats a lot. 

catmomma627

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I've not experienced this, but my best friend's cat Titan, will not eat unless my friend is there watching him. So basically he has to make sure he blocks out time at Titan's meal times, or Titan won't eat.

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise
I haven't heard of a cat doing this before and it sounds very sweet.  It would be interesting to know how old he is.  

You might want to try and encourage him to eat a little more when he is on his own as this could be useful if he had to spend a bit more time on his own at some point, or maybe occasionally be cared for by someone he didn't know so well.  

My boy often seems to put cuddles and contact before his food and it is a very cute quality to experience, but he will eat if left to his own devices for the day so I know he would be safe if I was late getting home one day, or had to leave him with someone else for a while - not that I have any intention of doing this!  You are very, very lucky having such a close relationship with your little cat. 

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

withoutaname

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
He is eight months

The thing is that he eat so much, that it's actually a relief that he doesn't eat when left alone...  He is never alone for more than 8 hours at most, but I get what you mean ;)

cocheezie

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
This pattern of behaviour is something you should remember in case there comes a time when your cat isn't eating.

Scratching gently at the base of my cat's tail stimulates her appetite.

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise

He is eight months

The thing is that he eat so much, that it's actually a relief that he doesn't eat when left alone...  He is never alone for more than 8 hours at most, but I get what you mean ;)
Cute age, and I seem to remember Mouse having a huge apetite at that age until his mouth got too sore - they are super playful and growing still so use up loads of energy!   Mouse would be left about that length of time too.  As long as it doesn't completely depend on you being there it is really sweet.  Cats often have a reputation for being completely food driven so it is lovely to see stories of cats that seem to want physical contact and proximity with their human as much as the food. 

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

withoutaname

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

Mouse would be left about that length of time too.  As long as it doesn't completely depend on you being there it is really sweet.  
Well, someone's usually home with him, so it's hard knowing exactly how he would cope. If we, for some reason, all have school and job at the same time, he will be alone for that time though.

My mom usually work nights, so when we're at school/job, she sleeps with her door closed. He seems to take well to this, but if he knows she's at home he will sleep outside her door. He also makes so much noise when he thinks he's alone, or when he can't find us. If I'm with him in the basement, and then I go upstairs, he starts meowing until I answer.. It's weird, but so sweet