Crystals In Urine

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I’m looking for some recommendations from our learned folks on an alternative food for a cat prone to crystals other than et prescription.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Members will recommend canned food. Any commercial brand will do. You don't need a urinary specific formula IMO. Adding extra water to the canned food will help keep the urine diluted and prevent most urinary issues. Some cats will continue to have urinary issues no matter what food is fed.

pushylady

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hey Y yosemite , nice to see you here!
My Pushy had to be on prescription food (Hills c/d) for a while because when he was young he had recurring bouts of crystals. We were back and forth to the vet quite a bit. The c/d really helped to get them under control and after I think about 2 years, we switched him to better quality wet food. Is it the ingredients putting you off the rx food? We didn't feel happy feeding that long term either. But I'm happy to say that at 14 1/2 years old Pushy hasn't had a recurrence since he was 2. The key is feeding wet food, mixed with a little extra water. The moisture is really important. We started strictly with the no grain foods.
Also weight is a big issue with the male cats. Excess weight can help trigger problems with their urinary tract.