Crystals in urine

ellsworth

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
thank you very much for your thorough response. The only bad thing on you list that I am guilty of is feeding too much seafood, especially tuna. In fact, they eat almost 100% seafood because when I try anything else, they boycott it. But I can get them to eat other canned food by making it the only food available.

Oddly, the cat with crystals tends to eat only the kibble, which is Evo, and she drinks the most water of the group.

babytobee

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My cat had problems with crystals years ago. I switched him from dry to wet food. For a couple of years the problem seemed to have subsided but one day, out of the blue, he was squatting on the floor barely able to walk. We went straight to the vet and $1300 and 5 days in the vet, he is on the Urinary SO formula. Has been for the last 2 years. I will never feed him anything else again. Ever. That was terrifying.

We adopted a second male cat about 2 months ago. We tried to feed them each their own diet but after a week, I thought better of it, and put the second cat on the Urinary SO as well. Not only because Tobee would eat Julius' food and he is not allowed any dietary indiscretions, but as a preemptive strike for Julius.

I know it's expensive, but I can't go through that again. Good luck.

peanuts

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
my cat has had crystals in the past (unknown by me that this is why he was poorly) and was diagnosed by the vet, he was treated in the vets and i had to change his diet, he delightfully peed in a food bowl recently and the crystals were very obvious, if in doubt just put an old litter tray down with some newspaper in and if they pee in it you will see the crystal clearly.

anne2tom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi, About the crystals in your cat's urine.  I have had that with both of my cats at 2 different time.  I found that feeding them Royal Canine SO and Friskies Special Diet solved the problem.  I didn't read that you vet recommended this to you.  My vet did not give my cats any medication, so I am wondering why yours did.  You can tell if they have crystals, if they stuggle to urinate in the litter box and the urine is very small dots, instead of normal, larger clumps.  Good luck.  Anne

pushylady

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Bear in mind this thread is a couple of years old, so it's unlikely the OP will reply. However, lots of people have cats with crystal problems and there is a lot of information here regarding that issue.
If you have a specific question you would like answered, please start a new thread so you'll get a lot more responses.