Crystals in pee, Vet says high Phosphorus

Can a cat hunt with high phosphorus in urine?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

GipsyDragon

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I take my cat for walks and he loves to chase quail and other small creatures, thing is he had/has high phosphorus in his urine causing crystals and a change in diet. I was wondering if he can hunt prey while outdoors?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

GipsyDragon

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
The vet put my kitty on c/d hills prescription food, I was wondering if I could make his food or what other options I have, the vet I went to didn’t really want to go in depth with me.

mentat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
If he currently has struvite (ammonium phosphate) crystals in his urine, is on a struvite limiting/dissolving prescribed diet, you should follow your vet's advice on what he should consume. Hunting before did not limit him from accumulating crystals in his urine. Playing with him, using interactive feathered toys, can help simulate his predatory activity so he still gets the enrichment without ingesting quail. Their are food puzzle toys that simulate a bird, you stuff with food. The Indoor Hunting Feeder from Doc and Phoebe's closely simulates a bird, while other puzzles are stationary or ball-like, can hold wet or dry food, and offer some options for a solitary hunter like yours. Food Puzzles for Cats Indoor Hunting Feeder: Cat Food Dispenser | Doc & Phoebe’s Cat Co.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. Is it really necessary for your cat to hunt live animals? As of right now, I would try to avoid doing so and let the prescription food 'do its thing' in terms of dissolving his crystals. Consider some of the options given to you in the above link. Also, if you are using just the dry c/d food, I would recommend getting some of the canned as well, just to up his liquid intake. Flushing out his urinary tract with the additional water in the canned food is the best thing to help him avoid crystals in the future.

You could look into making his food, if you really want to - if so, I would recommend you take a look at the sub-forum in this section -
Raw & Home-Cooked Cat Food

GipsyDragon

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi. Is it really necessary for your cat to hunt live animals? As of right now, I would try to avoid doing so and let the prescription food 'do its thing' in terms of dissolving his crystals. Consider some of the options given to you in the above link. Also, if you are using just the dry c/d food, I would recommend getting some of the canned as well, just to up his liquid intake. Flushing out his urinary tract with the additional water in the canned food is the best thing to help him avoid crystals in the future.

You could look into making his food, if you really want to - if so, I would recommend you take a look at the sub-forum in this section -
Raw & Home-Cooked Cat Food
No it’s not necessary, I just want him to be able to do the things he was before, and if it’s not healthy for him I would like to know, so thank you, and as far as the food he is on, he is only eating the c/d canned food (no dry as of rn)

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I truly cannot imagine that him hunting live prey would have attributed to developing crystals, tbh. You just have to watch out for other illnesses related to him eating an animal that has some sort of disease - that would be, to me, the greater concern.

GipsyDragon

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I truly cannot imagine that him hunting live prey would have attributed to developing crystals, tbh. You just have to watch out for other illnesses related to him eating an animal that has some sort of disease - that would be, to me, the greater concern.
The vet said high phosphorus, but I don’t know what causes that, if it was the food I was providing, or the prey he was hunting.

GipsyDragon

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I’ve been wanting to get a new vet, I just don’t know where to go.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
The vet said high phosphorus, but I don’t know what causes that, if it was the food I was providing, or the prey he was hunting.
A couple of articles (links below) you might want to read about regarding high phosphorus levels in cats. It doesn't answer your specific question, but gives you some things you could consider discussing with your vet just to make sure that inappropriate diet is the primary reason for this condition in your cat. Sounds to me like blood levels should be checked again after a period of time, in case it could be the prey he is eating. If you stop him from doing so, and blood tests reveal the level is down, then you might be able to conclude it was related to his 'wild life' diet.
Excess Phosphorus in the Blood in Cats - Symptoms, Causes, Diagnosis, Treatment, Recovery, Management, Cost
Excess Phosphorous in the Blood in Cats