Cryptosporidium, Tylosin, S.Boullardi

SarahsCatPack

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi all, a new member here!

I wanted to see if anyone has had to treat their fur babies for Cryptosporidium and how you got on?

After months of bad poops, we discovered my two kittens (from different litters) have it - they are currently on day 15 of 21 days of Tylosin. This really made a difference at first but at around day 12, the bad poops started to come back.

We introduced S.Boullardi three days ago but it's not made much of a difference— I think it's actually given them a lot of wind so thinking of stopping it.

They are also on B12 and Forti Flora.

I'd love to hear from anyone who has had to battle this and if you managed to clear it. Everything I read says the cats clear it themselves but this isn't happening in our case.

I feel so defeated and that I'm letting my babies down 😕

Sarah xx

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi and welcome to TCS, despite what brought you here. I am sorry no has responded yet, and I have no background with this. So, I did a search on this site and here is what I came up with in terms of previous posts - Search Results for Query: Cryptosporidium | TheCatSite.

Hopefully there is some worthy information in some of these posts while you wait to hear from others directly - which I hope is soon!

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Have you talked to your Vet about the fact that it's reverting back even though they are still on the Tylosin? I would definitely let them know.

signgirl

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I am so sorry you are dealing with this too. I adopted a cat about a year ago from a humane society. He came home with Cryptosporidium...but I had NO idea for the first 7 months. His bowel movements were yellow, smelly, and looked like soft serve ice cream. Vet told me this was ok. Smh. I got a stool PCR done on him.

Sept 2023 - diagnosed and treated with Tylosin once daily for 3 weeks.
November - rested and still positive
December - 14 days of Azithromycin
January 2024 -met with new vet, placed back on Tylosin indefinitely.
March 2024 - retested fecal PCR while he was on Tylosin - still positive for Cryptosporidium.

To be cont...🤦🤦🤦🤦🤦

Last edited by a moderator: