Cryptorchidism???

Cadacook

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello all new here.
So I have a odd and confusing question.
I will try my best to explain this and make it as simple to understand as I can,but I myself and so confused.

So I have a question about a feral cat that we look after and he has been looked at twice and even checked for cryptorchidism. They keep saying he is already neutered and doesn't have the cryptorchidism and something about on his penis doesn't have the barbs,so he has to be fixed already.
We explained to the placed that's already looked at him twice that there is no way possible he could have been fixed at all l as he has been living on same farm,seen everyday for the past 2 years constantly and been looked after and watched since he was a baby. He still had the big puffy cheeks that un-nuetered males have,he still sprays and has other traits of a un-nuetered male cat.
Hope this makes sense and I hope I can get some ideas on what might be the issue. If I could then I can get that with the TNR group I'm working with and they can maybe get this poor guy fixed.
Thank you all in advance 😻

Maurey

Maine Coon Madness
Top Cat
Purraise
Neutered toms won't have penile spikes present, as lack of testes-secreted testosterone will cause them to more or less vanish. Even with retained testicles, cats will still have testes-derived testosterone in their system, so they'll have penile spikes if they're 9 months or older, as well. He could be spraying still because he was neutered late in life, and it became habit, or he's generally highly-territorial. Not all cats will lose their stud cheeks post-neuter, either.

You could always book him in for an ultrasound if you want to be extra cautious, but based on the available information, he must have been neutered at one point.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Cadacook

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I guess I am mostly baffled because of he has always been here on the property in the colony. We have only trapped him 2x and the first time they checked him out they said he was already fixed. But I tried to explain that he has never left the farm and has been seen everyday for the past 2 years.
I guess I am trying to get at..is there any possibility of a genetic defect that could be causing this in him? Or I don't know I'm really confused and would hate for him to not truly be fixed and him wander off looking for a female and something bad happen to him.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Have you been using a TNR program? Unfortunately a high-volume program can't always give individual attention to one cat.

Is paying a full-service vet an option? I'd talk to your favorite vet and explain to them that he has never left the farm so you know he hasn't been neutered, he looks and acts and smells like a tom, so you want them to go in and look for his testicles. As long as you're paying I don't see why they'd argue about that.

Cadacook

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yes I have been using one that is local and I know the ladies that run it pretty well.
She had me specifically catch the little guy and she scheduled him appointment to be looked at and that's when they verified that he doesn't have the barbs. And still keep claiming he is fixed.
I'm just confused about how and when as I've seen him everyday for the past 2 years. He was born on property.
That is why could it be a genetic defect or something??
Or he has the cryptorchidism and it's hidden more than normal and causing him to be assumed as fixed and really he isn't.

Like I said,I'm not trying to make him into a science experiment,but more concerned about his future health and possibly of running off looking for a females and something bad happening to him.

Maurey

Maine Coon Madness
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm just confused about how and when as I've seen him everyday for the past 2 years. He was born on property.
Is his ear tipped, out of curiosity?

In general, though, neuters don't take long for male cats. As long as they recover well from anaesthesia, they might be back to their usual grounds same day as their neuter, though unsure how common the practice is where you are.

Cadacook

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yes. He is ear tipped,but they did it the first time he was caught and thought he was neutered so they went ahead and did the ear tip but they did not neuter him, because they claimed he was already. They only tipped his ear for future reference.

But like I said the colony here has always been here on a 16 acre farm with not much around and he has always been seen everyday for 2 years.
He always comes for his feedings.
We did not start getting any TNR done till this past October.
So it was first time he was ever caught.

I know that sounds confusing..

They do always tip ears her or tattoo were I live.