Cruel To Confine?

Cobrien

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi all, hoping to get some advice on here today thank you in advance :) our elderly 22 year old cat passed away recently. We were not thinking to get a new car but I saw a post on a cat rescue page about a heavily pregnant cat that was being made homeless by her previous owners and we wanted to help this poor baby. The rescue place picked her up and I messaged them and said we had a quiet pet free animal free home if they needed a foster for her to safely have her kittens.

We picked her up and have confined her to a large bedroom upstairs. We have done this as my elderly grandma also lives with us. She has poor health and we know that she would fret and worry about the kittens and cat (she is a big animal lover) and could have a fall or hurt one of the kittens accidentally. Her bedroom and bathroom are downstairs and she never goes upstairs. She also has carers and visitors during the day when we are at work and we worry the unspeyed pregnant cat might get out (she is only 8 months and on her second litter after she got out while nursing her last litter and got pregnant straight away).

We have setup several nests with blankets and places to hide. Her litter tray in a private box. Food, fresh water, a scratching post and toys (which she is not currently interested in) and has the run of the room it is quite a large room. She also likes to sit on the windowsill. She has been fine the last week (she looks ready to give birth any moment). But the last day she has become a bit more vocal (quiet though my grandma hasn't heard a peep). Pacing around and lying by the bedroom door. I am not sure if it's just because her time is close or if she is unhappy. She still comes for cuddles and strokes at the same time. The plan is to keep her confined to this room during her birth and while she is nursing and then when we rehome the kittens get her speyed, introduce her to gran and install a cat flap so she can go outside when she likes we have a big garden on a quiet road. She is a very affectionate lovely sweet little girl and she will be the perfect companion for gran once it's just her. I am worried it will be cruel to keep her confined to this room for so long. It will not be forever but I am worried about her. We give her a lot of love and attention she is very affectionate. I do not know much about her history but given that she was able to get pregnant twice I guess she was free to go outside whenever she liked. I know when she has the babies she will have to stay close but would it be cruel to keep her in this bedroom until the kittens are rehomed? We love and worry about her all the time! Thank you! :)

golondrina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
C Cobrien said:
" my elderly grandma also lives with us. She has poor health and we know that she would fret and worry about the kittens and cat (she is a big animal lover) and could have a fall or hurt one of the kittens accidentally. Her bedroom and bathroom are downstairs and she never goes upstairs. She also has carers and visitors during the day. "

Will your elderly grandma spend time by herself when your cat will be allowed the run of the house? If she is unstable on her feet, shouldn't the possibility of her stumbling over the cat and hurting herself be considered? Mom cat is very young and no doubt very active.

catapault

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think this sounds like an ideal situation for everyone - grandma, the cat, and you! Kitty (what's her name? Do you have a picture to share of "ready to pop" cat?) may be getting close to delivery and thus is a little anxious. Visits and pets will help reassure her that all is well.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Confining her to a single room is actually perfect - as said above. That is the way one would introduce a new cat into an unfamiliar home under any circumstances!

The vocalization is likely because she is coming close to delivering. Since she is very comfortable with you already, please spend a lot of time (as you can) with her in that room. She is comforted by your presence, and will probably want you nearby when she delivers and afterward as well.

After the kittens are rehomed, I would do a slow introduction to the rest of the house with her before you consider letting her outside. Let her be totally comfortable with the entire house - and you and your entire family, as well as the visiting caretakers - first.

If all of the above can be accomplished, perhaps she will not need to have full-time access to the garden, and will be happy being an indoor kitty. But, if you still choose to go the outdoor route, that will be yet another introduction process to ensure she becomes familiar with the area should she accidentally roam off. It would be great if you can find a way to train her to stay in your garden, but that is much easier said than done.

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Since she had people before you, it's possible she's already discovered that cats do better when they don't weave around people's legs. All of our cats figured this out early. If so Grandma would be safe if you keep her. It sounds as though she has a lovely place to have and raise her kittens.

Just be sure Grandma's care takers understand they aren't to open the door to the cat room without talking to you. (I put that in in case Grandma gets focused on someone checking on the cat. If they call you, you can reassure Grandma that all is good.) I'd also put a note on the door to the cat room, just to remind the caretakers and in case someone new is sent to fill in for a regular who got sick.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
If she is ready or near ready to give birth you for sure want to confine her to a single room so you can check on her and the babies when they arrive. You want to give her a large box or some other semi hidden space that she will feel comfortable using as her nest and make sure other surfaces like beds or chairs are covered with waterproof covers just in case she delivers on them.

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you use a dog crate or other wire container for her, you will want to put a border of cardboard along the bottom half to keep the kittens from getting caught between the wires. You might also want to put cardboard on the floor of the crate and cover with towels.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Cobrien

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you SO much for all your replies they were all so so helpful and reassuring. Gran will be fine with a cat around eventually she has been around animals her whole life but a lot of young kittens may just be a bit boisterous and hard for her to manage is all. They are safely confined to the room and I am very happy to say that mama gave birth to 5 beautiful babies very early this morning. They are all doing beautifully and mama did so well we are so proud. Her time was close was all it was after all and she is now a very content and happy mama. Thank you all so much again I really appreciate it

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Glad everything went well. Good Maisie. You're right about the kittens, I've noticed an almost suicidal tendency to get in front of human feet and if possible under them. When we have kittens we go bare foot and sock footed to be sure they haven't gotten underneath, when they were all in a different room when we stood up. You're right Grandma doesn't need the worry or the balancing act.

You're doing a lovely thing for Maisie and her crew, and in time for Grandma. Nothing like holding a sweet purring cat to improve your health, especially if you're kinda missing holding one.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Cobrien

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Glad everything went well. Good Maisie. You're right about the kittens, I've noticed an almost suicidal tendency to get in front of human feet and if possible under them. When we have kittens we go bare foot and sock footed to be sure they haven't gotten underneath, when they were all in a different room when we stood up. You're right Grandma doesn't need the worry or the balancing act.

You're doing a lovely thing for Maisie and her crew, and in time for Grandma. Nothing like holding a sweet purring cat to improve your health, especially if you're kinda missing holding one.
Omg thank you for this beautiful message. It brought tears to my eyes. I am so emotional today with everything! ❤ Gran was also a bit weepy earlier talking about our lovely little Amber they were great companions to one another so cannot wait for her to meet Maisie a bit further down the road when she is also feeling a bit less grieved. I am having trouble uploading my phone photos due to the file size but I will keep trying and work out how to so I can share our beautiful bundle. Thank you again me and mum were very touched by this message and thank you again to all the posters and for the very welcome advice x