Cross Eyed Kitten

thanhhadinh

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I recently got a blue point British Shorthair Munchkin. She is now 3.5 months old. When I went to pick up my kitten, I did see the mother cat and she is cross-eyed. I didn't know much about the genetic so since my kitten looks normal I brought her home. I have since noticed that my kitten does have a bit of a cross-eyed too, only when she is concentrating though and it quickly corrected itself within less than a sec. I have heard cases of kittens being cross-eyed but grew out of it. If anything has experience on this topic, please give me some advice. I don't mind the occasional cross-eyed at all, but I do not want it to get worst.

kristenann

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Crossed eyes are common in pointed cats. It is a genetic trait for them and not to be concerned about. I think the derp is cute. My seal color bicolor ragdoll has crossed eyes and a nystagmus so his eyes are extra special, but again common with pointed cats and not considered an issue.

20171020_145205.jpg

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It was also common among Siamese and I think the Siamese was the origin of the color point in later breeds. Breeders have worked very hard to remove it from the Siamese so it isn't as common as it used to be. It doesn't effect your kitten since she will be an indoor cat that gets her food from a dish. If it is bad enough it could affect a cat's ability to hunt but that won't be an issue for your cat. She doesn't know that she is cross eyed, it is just the way she is and always has been.