Critique my cat litter plan...

fosterkitty

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
just because you don't like to scoop litter doesn't make it fair for your cats to have to step around their own poop and pee for a whole week. Even if it is a big box, they will have it full by the time you get around to dumping it. You're only asking for problems in the long run. If a cat doesn't feel like its litter box is clean enough, they could start going outside of the box, and sometimes its hard to get them to start going again. If you feed a good quality food, and scoop daily, there should be little smell in the box, and your cats will be much happier. I have 6 cats and 7 boxes spread out over both floors of my house and I cannot smell a thing unless they have just gone. Hey face it, poop stinks! But if I smell it, i scoop it.

noludoru

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I don't have any suggestions for your litter situation, except that during the winter I would advise you keep them inside. Your pan sounds large enough for two, hopefully, but if you get a smaller one you can put it under a coffee table or something.

I have a couple of suggestions for your run, however...

- make sure you're able to securely close that window. At night, during the cold in the winter, the heat of the daytime in the summer, etc I doubt you'll want that leaking into your house or your kitties outside in it. Pests also might find it an easy way to get in/out. a locking cat flap might be easier?

-Make sure you make the run out of something like chain-link, and make sure it's covered securely. My biggest worry is that something will get IN and get my kitties.. not that they will get out. If you use screen or something, larger animals (*cough silly puppies that the neighbors let run loose cough*) can barrel right through it without even noticing it, especially if they're in prey drive. We've had one of our screens busted through twice.. it was so bad the second time it had to be replaced.

-Make the run large enough that if there are wild animals near by, they cannot reach a paw in and get at your kitties, that the kitties have somewhere to go.

Okies, I'm done with my suggestions.
I don't want to sound rude, lol. Good luck with your run--I do hope we get to see pics!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

rolenta

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by noludoru

I don't have any suggestions for your litter situation, except that during the winter I would advise you keep them inside. Your pan sounds large enough for two, hopefully, but if you get a smaller one you can put it under a coffee table or something.

I have a couple of suggestions for your run, however...

- make sure you're able to securely close that window. At night, during the cold in the winter, the heat of the daytime in the summer, etc I doubt you'll want that leaking into your house or your kitties outside in it. Pests also might find it an easy way to get in/out. a locking cat flap might be easier?

-Make sure you make the run out of something like chain-link, and make sure it's covered securely. My biggest worry is that something will get IN and get my kitties.. not that they will get out. If you use screen or something, larger animals (*cough silly puppies that the neighbors let run loose cough*) can barrel right through it without even noticing it, especially if they're in prey drive. We've had one of our screens busted through twice.. it was so bad the second time it had to be replaced.

-Make the run large enough that if there are wild animals near by, they cannot reach a paw in and get at your kitties, that the kitties have somewhere to go.

Okies, I'm done with my suggestions.
I don't want to sound rude, lol. Good luck with your run--I do hope we get to see pics!
Those are great suggestions, thanks! You didn't seem rude at all, that's exactly the sort of constructive criticism I was looking for.