CRF with bad prognosis from Vet. Need advice ASAP, please!!

danielleh

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
hi there, my cat is currently in the hospital with CRF. She has been in on IV fluids since Thursday. Her creatinine was 9.6 on Thursday and as of saturday dropped down to 8.1 It was 3.0 in February and March and has been stable at those levels since 2011. She contracted an ecoli infection in her bladder that has caused her CRF to worsen. I was told that if we can get the infection under control she can improve. Her phosphorous and potassium were high which are not under control. She stopped eating and dropped down to 5.4 pounds from 8.9. She is very lethargic, has no voice and can not use her back legs for the passed 3 days. They have told me that her prognosis is poor and that if there is not a signifiant drop in her levels come tomorrow that I will have to put her down. I am heart sick and devastated praying that tomorrow will bring anything but terrible news. I too have heard that cats can rebound from severe episodes like this. She is 16 and a cancer survivor. She was diagnosed in 2011 when her levels were 3.0 The infection began the last week of april. We did 3 weeks of antibiotic, Sub Q Fluids and Alterna gel at home and she responded beautifully. We took one week off as per our vet's advise. The infection was not resolved so we restarted the above regime. She became so severely dehydrated that i had to admit her. they are encouraging euthanasia and I really want to continue treatment if her creatinine is lower when tomorrow's blood results return. Can anyone advise me? I have done so much research. In 2 days her levels dropped almost 2 points. I really want to push for continued treatment. 

Thanks

danielle

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
At this point, the only advise I can give you is to just keep doing what you're are doing.  She is getting the best thing right now, being in the hospital on IV fluids, getting her creatinine down.  Hopefully, since she still has the infection, she is also getting some antibiotics via the IV.

She sounds like a fighter, but you must prepare yourself, because those numbers do not sound good. 
  I lost my 16 year old guy to CRF a little over a year ago, so I  know just how devastating this is

that she pulls through this crisis