Crf Query

happilyretired

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I had my cat euthanized last week, and I'm still troubled. I know it was necessary (he was suffering and not eating and SubQ wasn't enough), but I wonder whether we escalated his end.
Background: I adopted Sunny only 2 days after I lost a cat to CRF (lived 7 years from diagnosis). I had gone to the shelter to donate my remaining food, and I encountered this poor cat whose owner had died (7 months previously), and the relatives had dumped him in the shelter. It's an 'open' plan, and poor Sunny did not get along with other cats and fought daily. I felt that since I was a 'one cat' person, I needed to bring him home.

I was told that he was 7. When we got home, I had my vet check him, and he had some 'issues' that were possibly from stress at the shelter (chin acne, nasal congestion), and all cleared up well within a few weeks. However, I noticed him drinking more water than usual (the first sign in my other CRF cat). My sister told me that I was just being neurotic because I'd just lost a cat to CRF. But a few months later, my vet noticed a 'bad tooth,' and when the bloodwork was done prior to the dental procedure, his values were consistent with CRF--about Stage 2.

Like my other cat, Sunny refused any food but his Fancy Feast (tried both prescription and commercial low phosphorus), so I added a phosphorus binder and hoped for the best. Sunny was a small cat (just over 8 lbs) and didn't eat much to maintain his weight, but all seemed OK for a while.

I waited to do follow up blood testing until his shots were due because I didn't want to stress him too much. The news wasn't good--he was now close to Stage 4--but his weight was stable, and he didn't seem worse. However, from that time, he began to deteriorate rapidly--eating less and less. When I weighed him about 2 weeks later, he'd lost about a pound, and he was eating much, much less. My vet suggested it was time for SubQ, and after the first treatment, he seemed to rally for a day, but then he continued to decline, refusing to eat despite daily SubQ. There are 'broths' that come in pouches (more treat than complete food), and he would consume those, as my prior CRF cat did near the end as well. I continued the SubQ for a week, and by that time, he was eating nothing and almost always in the 'meatloaf' position. My vet had told me that the call was mine to make, and I made it.

My concern is the rapid decline right after his shots. I wonder whether his weak kidneys were unable to handle the vaccines, and that caused them to fail so quickly. Or was it just coincidence. I only had Sunny for 19 months, but he certainly had CRF before I adopted him, since the excessive water drinking was almost immediately apparent to me. Any thoughts?

Alejandra Rico

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I am so very sorry for your loss... For both of them in such a short period.
I think that you are right, your Sunny was already sick. I would go as far as to say that the family of his previous owner left him at the shelter precisely because of that, taking care of a seriously ill cat is not for weak characters.
Besides, cats are so emotionaly vulnerable that the constant stress and fear for those seven months at the shelter may have been an important factor in the decline of his health.
As I said, I am sorry for you and your cats, it is so unfair that you didn't have more time with them. We are here for you if you need to talk.

haleyds

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
He was most definitely sick before you ever met him, and most likely the stress of losing an owner, being stuck in a shelter around other cats that he did not like, and the stress of everything else probably did not help his condition. You had your previous cat from the start and your love and care helped to greatly extend his life. This little man was probably already on a downward spiral, and sadly there's often not much we can do for cats when they decide they're ready to let go.
In fact, he may have stopped fighting with you because he knew he was safe and loved. He didn't feel like he had to keep fighting and struggling, you gave him peace.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

happilyretired

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thank you for your kind words! I really hope he knew that he felt 'safe and loved.' He actually didn't seem to 'adjust' to our home for the first year. He was very aloof, and although he did not hide if there were guests in the house, he just kept his distance. I assumed that was his natural disposition, but after about a year, he began to seek more affection from me, and it increased as he became more ill. For the final 2 weeks, I felt that we were in "hospice mode," and my focus was on keeping him secure and loved until the end. I hope I accomplished that.

Alejandra Rico

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I am sure you did. As terrible as this has been for you, for Sunny It was probably the best he could have ever ask for: spend his last days with someone who did really care and love him.
I just wish that, whenever you are ready to open your heart to a new Cat, you will have a perfectly health one.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

happilyretired

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Actually (and I want to talk to my vet about this, as she works with a rescue group), I'm thinking about adopting either a very senior cat or one with health issues because not only are they usually 'unadoptable,' but I'm 76, and I won't be around for a cat with a long life, and it might be good to give a cat like that a good, loving home for his/her final years.

I can't do anything immediately because I'm having foot surgery soon, but it's something I'm considering.

Alejandra Rico

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Actually (and I want to talk to my vet about this, as she works with a rescue group), I'm thinking about adopting either a very senior cat or one with health issues because not only are they usually 'unadoptable,' but I'm 76, and I won't be around for a cat with a long life, and it might be good to give a cat like that a good, loving home for his/her final years.

I can't do anything immediately because I'm having foot surgery soon, but it's something I'm considering.
You trully have a golden heart. Whatever you decide, will have the same consequence: you will make world a better place.