CRF - Chronic Renal Failure:links and experiences with

buttonwillow

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks everyone!
She actually came into the kitchen this evening as I was setting up her fluids and medications. And now, after we're done, she's eating! and grooming herself! I haven't seen her groom herself in at least 2 weeks. I hope it's a good sign.

Oh - where do you all get the Terumo needles? She flinches when I put the other ones in.

kluchetta

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by buttonwillow

Thanks everyone!
She actually came into the kitchen this evening as I was setting up her fluids and medications. And now, after we're done, she's eating! and grooming herself! I haven't seen her groom herself in at least 2 weeks.
Aw, it sounds like she's feeling much more herself!

buttonwillow

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Pookie-poo

I have never heard of Remeron as an appetite stimulant. I will Google it and read up on it.
I can vouch for it personally... before it was prescribed for my cat, I gained 40 lb on it

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

pat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Thanks everyone!
She actually came into the kitchen this evening as I was setting up her fluids and medications. And now, after we're done, she's eating! and grooming herself! I haven't seen her groom herself in at least 2 weeks. I hope it's a good sign.

Oh - where do you all get the Terumo needles? She flinches when I put the other ones in.
I have used these folks: http://www.bricomedicalsupplies.com/CRFpage.html

though if you buy just needles there is a handling fee (as opposed to buying fluids plus iv sets and needles).

pookie-poo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I purchase my Terumo needles from DairyPharm.com. They don't require a prescription to purchase needles, where most other places do require a prescription.

http://www.dairypharm.com/index.shtml

Click on the red tab at the top of the page "Products"
Then click "Supplies"
Then "Needles"
at the bottom of that page, click #6

I usually get the 18x1 box of 100, other people prefer the 19x1. Either one is good for subQ's. The 18 guage is just a smidge larger than the 19 guage, so the fluid flows a little faster. I usually buy two or three boxes at a time because it saves a little on shipping. You'll be incredibly impressed at how much easier it is to pierce the skin with the Terumo needles. I wish that the vets would use them and supply them to people...it just makes fluids SO much easier!

Good luck!!!

catlover73

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I apologize because I am freaked out right now and totally scared so this post is probably really long.

Pat & Alix mentioned this thread to me in my thread about my cat Claude in the Health Nutrition forum. Claude my 12 year old male cats was diagnosed with kidney issues on Sunday. I did not even know anything about CRF until then. Claude was at the vets yesterday on an IV. Since his diagnosis I have not been having issues getting him to eat his new diet until today. He is also on Clamavox 2x daily. I had been wrapping his pill in a small amount of cheese. This worked fine until this morning when he threw up both the pill and the cheeese. Also I have not been able to get him to eat breakfast yet today. He has been asleep on my bed all morning. He also did not shower with my hubby this morning like he normally does. Claude is a water kitty and is generally always wanting to take showers with us. I am really getting freaked out right now because he has not eaten and did not shower this morning. Any ideas on other tricks to try for his pill. I was able to save the pill and tried to give it to him again with the cheese but he won't even look at food this morning. We could not find Claude this morning to give him his fluids. My hubby called the vets and they said to give it to him tonight for now. My hubby is going to teach me how to do the fluids tonight. I am so scared right now because it seemed like Claude was doing better but now I am not so sure.

Well at least one good thing happened this morning I finally got his brother to eat some wet food. Tegato is healthy but is stubborn and does not like not being able to eat whenever he wants. Starbuck also had some wet food but is eating some of her dry food when I give it to her. Tegato does not want his dry food.

xocats

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I am so sorry that Claude is having such difficult time of it.
I am sure that soon, members will share with you some ideas that worked for them.
Here are some calming vibes for you and Claude.

pat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Right now all of this is new and a change in routine for both you and Claude. Some days will be better than others.

Try to establish a routine, a round about same time of day for meds and fluids, and be as calm as you can...Claude is going to pick up on your emotions. I used to just be matter of fact with Patrick, and am that way with my current cats with kidney issues. It's not our whole life or day, just things we need to take a moment to do, once it's over, it's a kiss and a snuggle and we go back to our usual activities

Once Claude is better hydrated, and his levels start improving, his appetite will improve..in the meantime, do whatever you can to get him to eat. If you have to "prime the pump" - feed him a bit of baby food off a spoon (yes, it's pure protein, but the bottom line is no food, no cat...get him to eat anything if he's totally stopped) - like gerber second stages beef or chicken or turkey (has no onions added, is just the meat and maybe a bit of corn starch).

Try warming his wet food, for pills, you can try making a little meatball with the pill hidden inside, or get a pill gun to use to gently and quickly give him a pill.

Visit the jmpeerson food lists (in the initial posts in this thread) to find a variety of canned foods Claude might like - you can look for the lower phosphorous foods, and lower protein, though I've always concentrated more on lower phos in the foods I offer.

You can also try making a bit of plain chicken broth, cooling and offering that to him - to get a bit of flavor that might stimulate his appetite as well as sneaking in more fluids.

The fountain is a great idea, it should help. Others not only have a fountain but place water bowls in several areas of their home - wherever the cat will stop and take a drink

hope some of this helps...but truly...take a deep breath, love up Claude, and you two just cherish every day you have, and do the best you can.

Tears can come (hopefully years from now) later.

buttonwillow

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi, thanks for the warming advice.

I've been giving 100ml 2x/day on the advice of my vet. I'm worried about heart failure now due to the increase in fluids, and last night I noticed her heart was beating slowly and very strongly, and today she seems to be breathing slow deep breaths. This isn't what I saw in my cat a few years ago who died of congestive heart failure, but it's something I haven't noticed in Gracie before. It could be that her heartbeat/breathing is more noticeable now that she is so skinny (she is about 7 1/2 lb and is normally around 12-13 lb).

We have an afternoon vet appt tomorrow.

pat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Hi, thanks for the warming advice.

I've been giving 100ml 2x/day on the advice of my vet. I'm worried about heart failure now due to the increase in fluids, and last night I noticed her heart was beating slowly and very strongly, and today she seems to be breathing slow deep breaths. This isn't what I saw in my cat a few years ago who died of congestive heart failure, but it's something I haven't noticed in Gracie before. It could be that her heartbeat/breathing is more noticeable now that she is so skinny (she is about 7 1/2 lb and is normally around 12-13 lb).

We have an afternoon vet appt tomorrow.
That sounds liike a lot of fluids for a 7+ lb. kitty - I would back off (if it were my cat, but I'm not a vet and can not tell you of course what is best for you to do) on the fluids until I get her to the vet.
Please go to this page: http://www.felinecrf.org/treatments.htm
and scroll down to the section on fluid retention - it talks about fluid therapy, congestive heart failure etc etc.

buttonwillow

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Pat & Alix

That sounds liike a lot of fluids for a 7+ lb. kitty - I would back off (if it were my cat, but I'm not a vet and can not tell you of course what is best for you to do) on the fluids until I get her to the vet.
Thank you for the quick response!

I agree. We increased from 100ml 1x/day to see if we could improve her BUN and creatinine, and as she was still dehydrated on 100ml / day, but I do think it's a little high for her.

She does not feel squishy or have any other symptoms of overhydration, but i may either cut back to 50ml tonight or skip tonight's fluid session (she'd thank me for that!).

Her skin doesn't snap back when i pinch it, but it doesn't take long to settle back, so ... I don't know.

catlover73

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks for your kind words. My hubby and I tried to give Claude his fluids tonight. We are having a hard time though. We got some of them in him. He started hissing at us and squirminng so the needle popped out. I hope this gets easier. He is now hiding under my bed where I can not reach him. I am going to give him some time to calm down and try giving him some of his old wet food for now to get him to eat something. I am also scared because his whole attitude has changed. He is hiding more and sleeping more. Also he has always been a shower kitty and this morning he stopped taking showers too. I am so scared that I am hurting him for my sake. I love my cat but I am concerned about the changes in his quality of life. I want to keep him around but don't want him to be unhappy just for me. I need some opinions do I chalk this up to a bad day and just keep trying? I am concerned that Claude is giving up.

buttonwillow

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
catlover, chalk it up to a bad day.
I'm relatively new at CRF but I've been through hell and high water with my Gracie. Over the years, she's had diabetes, pancreatitis, hepatic lipidosis, arthritis, serious skin problems, all her teeth have been removed and I honestly can't remember what else. We've had to feed her via a stomach tube at one point.
There have been times when I have felt completely helpless and hopeless, and just sat and cried. But she came through it all up to now.
She is an expert escape artist. Yet she never holds anything against me!
I completely understand your concern about quality of life. That's my number one focus right now with Gracie as well. I don't know where we'll end up this time, but I trust she'll let me know.
There will be bad days. It's when the bad days outnumber the good ones that you might start to worry.

catlover73

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks buttonwillow. What have you done to combat Gracie's escape attempts while doing the sub-q fluids? I think we may be doing something wrong because we seem to be hurting him since he was hissing at us and squirming so much. I was trying to hold him down while my hubby gave him the fluids. He pulled the needle out twice. He ran and hid before we could try again. He is still hiding under my bed. I put some of his old wet food right at the end of the bed and closed the bedroom door. I am really hoping I can get him to eat something. I really wish there was someone I could hire to come over and give him his fluids with us until we learn how to do it more easily. Unfortunately I don't know anyone to do it.

buttonwillow

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The vet's office will do it for you (but that's not cheap).
I suspect your kitty doesn't like being held down, or perhaps the fluids are cold. Do you warm the fluids? I've read that some cats are more comfortable if you put them in a box so they feel safer, or maybe a carrier with an open top.
Gracie didn't like it at first either, but she sits quietly now (and it's not been even 2 weeks).
As far as eating goes, give him whatever he will eat - all-meat baby food, tuna, Fancy Feast, Kit and Kaboodle - until he's been eating for a couple of days. My Gracie won't eat much at all so I'm having to force feed her, but you are probably not at that point. Ask your vet.
All this was really hard for me until I decided that my attitude was what made the difference for both of us. When I dreaded the fluids and pillgiving, it was very difficult. But I realised that I was doing this for her quality of life, and that I'd stop if it wasn't helping her. After that it's been much easier. I tell her it's our quality time

buttonwillow

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by catlover73

He is also on Clamavox 2x daily.
Catlover, Clavamox made my kitty VERY nauseated. We had to switch to something else - but of course all cats are different. However, are you giving Pepcid or any anti-nausea medication? I know CRF makes cats feel very nauseated. Check with your vet. This can make all the difference in whether or not your cat eats.

catlover73

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I know the vet will do it for me but it is to expensive. I did that on Monday and it cost me about $163.00. It is very expensive. Claude hates being held down for anything. He does not care for being held in general. He prefers to sit near you and be petted versus sitting in your lap. Well he did not eat his old wet food that I left at the edge of my bed but he did start eating it when it was put near him. He is hiding where we can see and pet him now. I am going to wait and see if he keeps this food down. I am hoping I can give him his antibiotic tonight and it will stay down.